SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the line from the shackle that attaches to the jib to soak in fabric softener and look how scorched it is! It was just curled through the shackle as you commonly see. The picture doesn't do it justice, I'd say 1/4 of the line is eaten away.

The line is in pretty good shape, so do you think I can just cut, whip, and put each (new bitter end) through the shackle and tie a stop-knot on each end?

Attachments

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
It looks like he is using a single sheet attached to the shackle with a cow hitch, and that is attached to the clew ring on the sail.

I agree that a hard shackle isn't a great thing to have flying around on the end of the sail. A soft shackle or bowline is better.

You could cut the line there into two sheets and tie bowlines. Chances are you could keep using it as is for a long time too, jib sheets are generally sized for comfort and are way overspec'd for strength.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Try Yale Maxijacket for spots like that. This little bit of nothing ( I use the clear version) you paint on adds 5x wear. Really, I've run both lab and on-boat tests. Great for furler lines and splices; many riggers, including Toss and Defender consider it standard. Also dock lines (where chafe gear won't fit) and snubbers.

Polyester and nylon only. Doesn't do much for HMPE.

Knot an Rope sells little bottles.
MaxiJacket Coating

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
The line is in pretty good shape, so do you think I can just cut, whip, and put each (new bitter end) through the shackle and tie a stop-knot on each end?
I would not do this. Stop-knots would not be strong enough. If you insist on using the snap shackle, then cut the line and tie each with a bowline. But just skipping the shackle probably makes the most sense.

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
Try Yale Maxijacket for spots like that. This little bit of nothing ( I use the clear version) you paint on adds 5x wear. Really, I've run both lab and on-boat tests. Great for furler lines and splices; many riggers, including Toss and Defender consider it standard. Also dock lines (where chafe gear won't fit) and snubbers.

Polyester and nylon only. Doesn't do much for HMPE.

Knot an Rope sells little bottles.
MaxiJacket Coating
Thanks for sharing this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts