SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Atomic 4 engine, and I think my alternator is on it's last legs. The amp meter only goes up to about 12.7 when the engine is on. I'm told that it should go up to 13.5-14.
I was told I should take it out and bring it to "pep-boys", or some other auto parts store where they can check it for me, and if it's NG, have them replace it with a like model.
Is there something I should do with the shore power and the battery switch before I disconnect the alternator and take it off?
I want to be very careful with these batteries. They're relatively new, and I don't want to have to replace them any time soon!
Thank you in advance,
Michael

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,264 Posts
Turn your battery switch off and then check the largest terminal on your alternator and/or starter to confirm there's not juice there. Or you could just disconnect the negative terminals on your batteries. The alternator has a pretty big wire on it that's hot. It wants to find a path to ground (the negative terminal of your battery). That's why there are big sparks when your wrench touches anything metal while removing that wire. Don't ask me how I know that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts