SailNet Community banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
D & R Marine carries everything you might need for your Mariner, and Rudy, the owner, is a great guy. But don't order from the website! Give Rudy a call and he can quote you cheaper shipping costs. He had everything I needed to get my DaySailer II operational.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I sailed a 1968 Mariner 2+2 for 10 years, same green hull colour as yours.

We had a metric tonne of fun with it. Long cockpit, beachable, forgiving, easy to maintain. The sweet spot is 10kts of wind: she keeps up with bigger boats but is still manageable and comfortable when single-handed.

She's over-canvased in more than 10kts though. Reef like you vote, early & often.

I used a Honda 2.3HP on the transom. It had plenty of power to get in & out of the harbour.

The centerboard trunk drips. Get used to it instead of hoping you can torque the bolt to stop it.

I paid for a membership to usmariner.org. Worth every penny.

Have fun!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yup, I joined up there and have already learned a lot about the boat, and with their assistance, think the boat only lacks a small outboard to toss it on the water and test it out.

The sails appear to actually be the *original* sails, as the luff rope on the mainsail has disintegrated to dust. But it has plastic slugs for guiding into the mast slot.

I won't take it out until I find a 4hp, 2-stroke though--I want to know that I can get home even if both sails suffer catastrophic failure!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Forget Sailrite, go over to Bacon's in Annapolis. There are a lot of Mariners out there and I'd be surprised if you can't pick up sails for $200-$300 each.
Bacon lets you look up used sails online. You can enter either the boat model or dimensions, and they will tell you what they have in stock, including price and some basic information about condition.

On a more general note, you need to drive up there and take a look at that store (it's in Annapolis, which should be an hour or two from you). They are a sailing consignment store and have a ton of used boat hardware that may be useful for you project.

Congratulations, that looks like a fun boat.

·
2,437 Posts
Bacon lets you look up used sails online. You can enter either the boat model or dimensions, and they will tell you what they have in stock, including price and some basic information about condition.

On a more general note, you need to drive up there and take a look at that store (it's in Annapolis, which should be an hour or two from you). They are a sailing consignment store and have a ton of used boat hardware that may be useful for you project.

Congratulations, that looks like a fun boat.
Scratchee, we drove down to look for parts & sails for my buddies O'Day. They didn't have a sail for his boat, but they had one that was close that they modified for a couple of bucks more. They were great to deal with. So even if they don't have it on their web site they my be able to help you out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congratulations, she's a pretty little boat! Your kids will love it. I bought a cheap (not as cheap as yours...) 24 last summer and we had a great time just getting to know the boat. Now we are all looking forward to some sailing adventures this summer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Built a simple gin pole and my daughter and I raised the mast this weekend. Super easy. Ordered new standing rigging; found some damage turnbuckles and fraying wire. Replaced the winch and trailer jack. Bought new halyards.

Hunting for a long shaft, 5hp, 2-stroke outboard now.

Might not get on the water before the winds die for the summer, but she should be ready for fall.

https://youtu.be/JsReBbNHFsw

·
Registered
264 Posts
Congrats on the new to you sailboat.

How far did you have to tow the boat back to your home?
I ask because twice now, I have purchased a boat and have towed it home over 100 miles and along the way the trailer tires blew... both times.
Roadside assistance is spendy.

Take some time to look at the wheels. Tires with lots of tread left doesn't meant the tires are in good shape. Look for cracks in the sidewalls... or anything else that indicates compromised integrity of the tires.

It's also good to add Bearing Buddies and keep the wheels spinning smoothly.

And welcome to SailNet!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Oh yeah, I know about trailer bearing failure while on the road! That's a lesson I learned a decade ago when I got my first trailer (used) and had to replace bearings, hubs, and axle when a bearing failed, chewing up a hub and axle.

Seller says these hubs and bearings are under two years old, with zero miles (sitting the entire time). I'll replace them, of course, for cheap peace of mind.

Drive was only 45 miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Update: I bought a pair of Johnson 6hp outboards, a '74 (known dead) and a '77 (supposedly running). The dead one is complete, and a short shaft. The supposedly running one is a long shaft, and complete, but the shift handle is broken off and the rod is frozen where it passes through the case. I've torn both apart and will be building a complete long shaft from the two. It'll be white and green the colors of the two motors, but I'm okay with that. I just hope the '77 power head actually runs!

Also ordered new standing rigging from D&R; mine has bent and damaged turnbuckles.

I replaced the centerboard pennant by lifting the boat up onto platforms I built and dropping the trailer under so I could lower the CB to the ground.

I'm getting closer!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hey folks, got some updates.

I joined up at the Mariner forum and they've been a HUGE help in getting me on the water. I still need to order mainsail rigging (mainsheet, downhaul, and outhaul), install a temporary mast support under the deck until I can replace the wood cabin arch, and install the Crosby rig aft blocks before I can actually sail her, but I have taken her on the water.

I built a running 6hp Johnson from three dead motors and it'll push the boat at hull speed. I built a kick up rudder because the boat came with a rigid rudder. It works great. The black marks you see are where the pintle was mounted originally as a fixed rudder. I just reused the blade and built a mount from white oak. Several coats of spar varnish protect it. Still need to add mounting points for a spring to keep it lowered when deployed.

I've taken both of my kids out onto the Patuxent River where they both caught some channel cats and LOVED IT. They can't wait to get her out under sail power and see how that goes.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts