SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The topsides of a boat I am currently restoring are basically good to go. Except the boat was docked by a houseboat and on one side only has a few rust stains and a few stains where a black rubber residue is actually stuck to the boat. (I scraped a bunch off). I also tried lacquer thinner with the black residue and it did not work. What chemicals do I use for the rust stains? And, what
chemicals do I use to remove the black marks?

Also, the hanks are frozen solid and green. Oiling them and rotating the screws got several of them un-frozen, how do I go about unfreezing the rest?

Thanks!

A

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
That would be PB Blaster, good stuff

Reactions: Delta-T

·
Master Mariner
9,411 Posts
The rust stains are easily removable with phosphoric acid, commonly sold as Ospho.
There is a product which I use sparingly, called Industrial Purple (Home Depot) which cleans hard to clean items, but is is very strong. I don't believe it will hurt the fiberglass (it will remove varnish), but it can soften your fingernails if used full strength, so I would suggest caution.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
I read a while ago on here to mix atf with acetone...its the best diy "un seizer" of things

maybe try that(for the hanks)

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
Oxalic acid, aka "Bartender's Friend" in the grocery store, takes off rust.

A lot of the "purple" cleaners are lye, and that has to be neutralized with acid (vinegar) and thoroughly flushed, or it will leave yellow stains and attach the gelcoat.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Oxalic acid, aka "Bartender's Friend" in the grocery store, takes off rust.

A lot of the "purple" cleaners are lye, and that has to be neutralized with acid (vinegar) and thoroughly flushed, or it will leave yellow stains and attach the gelcoat.
WoRd!!! Barkeeper's Friend did miracles on my boat.

I'm on of those "greenies" and my alley drains directly to the Mississippi River, so I'm selective on what I use for my yard or boat. Barkeeper's Friend passes my tests, it's a mild abrasive with and acid (oxalic) cleaner, but the acid is the same acid that make rhubarb tart, so it breaks down easily and harmlessly. The river is safe, my boat is clean, and I'm happy.

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
Where can I get all three: PB Blasters, Barkeepers Friend, and Goof Off?
All three of these will be at your local Home Depot. I usually pick up Barkeeper's at Wal-mart as they have a good price on the big can. They also make a liquid that has less abrasive in it, I would try that first. Always want to try the least aggressive cleaners first. And Barkeeper's Friend is great you will use it at home too. Once you use it you wonder how you did without it. I have a copper sink in my kitchen and BKF keeps it looking as good as new with almost no effort. I wanted it to patina, but the other half wont let it. Good on auto glass as well, lots of uses. Ospho is a stronger solution. It is availabe here according to there web site:

ACE Hardware Stores (Check ACE Warehouse if local store doesn't have it)
True Value Hardware
Do-It-Best Hardware
Handy Hardware
Orgill, Inc.
Sherwin Williams
Duron Paints & Wall Coverings
Lancaster

·
Registered
13,641 Posts
GoofOff (and there are a couple of similar products) will also be at the WalMart, but PBlaster might be too esoteric for them. Or, simply on the shelf but if you ask where or if they carry it, you'll get "Say what?" from the vests. Too esoteric.

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
GoofOff (and there are a couple of similar products) will also be at the WalMart, but PBlaster might be too esoteric for them. Or, simply on the shelf but if you ask where or if they carry it, you'll get "Say what?" from the vests. Too esoteric.
I am pretty sure I have seen it in the Auto section, with the other chemicals. GoofOff may well be in the paint department. I will say there is a GoofOff version for removing pant and I have to say as a general cleaning solvent it is lousy. It may work well on removing fresh latex paint, but on other stuff it just does not work well at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.