SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am considering the purchase of a 1980 Cherubini Hunter 37C. Some of the flooring in the galley and salon is spongy. Therefore, I'd like to replace the flooring in that section of the boat. Anybody ever done this? what's under there? how difficult of a job is it? Advice on the best place to purchase materials?
Thanks

·
TROUBLE
964 Posts
My 1982 Hunter 36 has teak and holly. Is yours the same? I have found 4X8 sheets for about $180.00 locally. It's 1/4", teak and holly laminate (?) over marine ply. Getting the old stuff up isn't going to be easy, I'm afraid. There are screws under those bungs, and it seems to be glued down too (maybe 5200?). Mine is just fiberglass under the wood. This project is on my list, too. Good luck, and let us know what you learn. I see you posted over at HunterOwner's too. Probably will get some help there at some point.

Ralph

·
Registered
26 Posts
My husband and I have a 1980 37' Hunter and also had to replace the flooring. While we weren't dealing with total rot we decided to forego the expensive teak and holly look and went for faux wood vinyl in cherry. It was waterproof, fairly inexpensive and really looks great! We are really pleased with it.

I am happy to send pictures of it. I am also posting some photos on my blog in the next few days but am not allowed to post the link on sailnet as yet. But if you look under Camile Davenport sailing blog it should come up. I didn't know if I would, but I love the vinyl. It wipes up so nicely too.

Camile
s/v Obsession
mountainsandseashore.blogspot.com

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you Camile for sharing your experiences on Obsession in St. Johns. It looks like a wonderful time despite peculiarities. I would be interested in seeing your photos and reading about your floor repair. In my situation, I have noticed the foundation around the engine area getting spongy in my 1983 Hunter 34. I'm sure that I will have a good project once I start exploring it further.

Dan - Friend of Ned

1 - 4 of 4 Posts