SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone! I am planning to bring my 45' sloop from Chesapeake Bay to Lake Michigan early in the Spring. I would appreciate suggestions as to the best route for early Spring.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Other than by truck the preferred route is the Erie canal.
you will likely run up the Ches and down the Delaware bay to Cape May. One overnight or 3 day hops up the jersey coast to nyc. About 3 days up the Hudson to the Erie at Albany. Take a day or 2 to pull the mast and secure it. Roughly 5 days up the Erie to Buffalo and a day or 2 to restep the mast. About 5 more day hops across Lake Erie to the Detroit river. Another 5 day hops to Mackinaw city.
The Erie opens around the first of May but often gets spring flooding that closes it temporary. Considering the snowfall this winter that might be likely.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Xort pretty much has it although you can play with the timings. A lot depends on whether this is a delivery or a cruise. If the former, an overnight up the Hudson with the tide makes a lot of sense. Also you can do an overnight up Lake Erie and an overnight up Lake Huron - although in May/June you would want to be very well dressed at night unless you have a pilothouse. Not sure 5 days is long enough for the Erie Canal all the way to Buffalo. The advice about closures of the canal due to high water is very important. You can be stuck for many days.

·
Old soul
4,917 Posts
I've not done the route, but as for sailing the upper Lakes in "early" Spring ... I don't think so. At least not this Spring. I'm up here on Lake Superior, and I expect bays and shorelines to be ice bound well into May, and even into June.

Check out the ice observations and forecasts as you get closer, but we're on track for near-100% freezing up here. Early Spring is best done by truck. Even late Spring is going to be tough.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the good advice! Does anyone know a reliable shipping company that might be reasonably priced?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Thanks everyone for the good advice! Does anyone know a reliable shipping company that might be reasonably priced?
I don't think you can use the phrase 45 footer, shipping company & reasonably priced in the same sentence :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have heard quotes of 10K and above. That seems a bit much but I will continue looking. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I second the recommendation on M&N. Used them to transport a 34' boat from Cleveland to Chicago. Professional. On time. Good communication.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
In 07 we paid about 8k to truck from Fla to Mich. You might be higher based on extra permits for the northeast and wider or longer boat. Ours was 42 x 13. Taller can be an issue as well. You might actually save some money by moving south to someplace like deltaville to get cheaper haulout prices and avoid high permit fees further north

·
Registered
845 Posts
If you have the time and your boat is mechanically in good shape then i would tell you to deliver yourself.
I think traveling the great lakes route in June can't be beat. Beautiful,

If you don't have the time, ship it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts