SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Senior Smart Aleck
2,150 Posts
Hello everone.

Is there a good visualization of chesapeake currents out there so where?

Does it tend to be a high current location?

A

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Williams & Heinz Maryland Cruising Guide map kit has tidal current charts for the Northern Chesapeake Bay (north of Cove Point) toward the back of the volume. I believe Reeds Nautical Almanac has them as well.

The Bay has relatively benign tidal currents, but there are some places where it may affect you. In addition to tidal currents, some of the major rivers have flowing currents, as they empty water from the watershed into the Bay, primarily the Susquehanna, Patuxent, Potomac, Rappahannock, York, and James, so you will get a much stronger ebb than a flood after heavy rains. There may also be stronger currents near the mouth of the Bay where it joins the Atlantic Ocean, depending on conditions. Furthermore, the Bay experiences wind driven tidal changes and currents. A strong North wind will drive water out of the Bay and a South wind will drive water in. If a tropical depression passes by the mouth of the Bay in the Atlantic, tides and currents may also be effected by the passage up the coast.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
2,150 Posts
I buy Eldridge's now, which does have the simplified Upper Chesapeake Bay Currents chart on page 154 - Poole's Island to Cove Point.

Both Eldridge and Reed cover the East Coast. I did not know Reeds ever published a Chesapeake Bay version.

·
Administrator
5,924 Posts
I buy Eldridge's now, which does have the simplified Upper Chesapeake Bay Currents chart on page 154 - Poole's Island to Cedar Point.

Both Eldridge and Reed cover the East Coast. I did not know Reeds ever published a Chesapeake Bay version.
They used to. It was what I learned to use when I became a coxswain. I think my last Chesapeake Bay volume was 2011. I find Eldridge confusing. Or maybe I'm just mad about Reeds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts