SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

Chastened
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just wanted to broadcast that there is a shorthanded sailing discussion group for Chesapeake sailors.

Although we discuss and organize shorthanded racing, we also discuss safety, tips and techniques which would benefit single and doublehanded cruisers. If you'd like access to the discussion group, please let me know.

I'm not attempting to take anything away from this forum, but the discussion really is narrowly focused, and might just clutter things up here.

Super Moderator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
I had not heard that a short handed sailing group had formed. When I bought Synergy, there had been two groups doing single-handed and double-handed racing on the Bay. I did a number of races both single-handed and double handed with both groups.

Both series were run by individuals and disappeared when the individuals folded their tents. The single-handed races drew a pretty good crowd 7-10 boats. The double handed races typically drew 3-4 boats at the most. I would love to get back into single-handed racing again. If appropriate please post a link to that group.

Jeff

Kynntana (Freedom 38)
I learned how to sail not too long ago on Chesapeake Bay so my heart is quite fond of the place. I joined the Singlehanded Sailing Society last year for my first racing season on San Francisco Bay. It's a fantastic group of single-handed sailors with so much experience that you could use as a resource. A call recently went out on the SSS forum that if we could round up 5 boats for one of the mid-winter races on the bay, then we could have our own short-hand division. We ended up having 22 boats sign up, creating 2 divisions. Though "short hand" is both single and double, many prefer to race single-hand, similar to what Jeff H had noticed. All the best on your endeavor!

Chastened
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Type of craft will be widely varied. Everything from an i550 to Klingon D5 heavy battle cruisers. "Run what you brung" is the motto.

I anticipate W/L, round-the-cans and distance type races.

I'm mostly just facilitating conversation on the topic. My club (WRSC) will be hosting two, short distance races in 2015 that will have a shorthanded class. Depending on the weather, the Seasprite would be able to do them safely.

If you don't have a PHRF rating certificate, we can crunch some numbers and assign you a provisional rating.

Edit: Joe, do you have the "day sailor" or the "weekender" model? The day sailor doesn't have a self-bailing cockpit, and might pose a safety challenge.

Super Moderator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
Jeff,

You will owe me time! I hope this gets off the ground.

Joel
I suspect that you are correct and your boat is wickedly fast upwind. I am very impressed with the level of interest and how far the organization has gotten.

See you out there
Jeff

Registered
More power to your new forum.

However, when I consider the population of singlehanded and doublehanded boaters around here anyway, it would be darn near everyone on the water. Not sure there wouldn't be value in a broad forum and there is a Chessy specific forum here.

Of all the 50 +/- boats in our marina, which is a group you would think would need more crew, they are all doublehanded at most. Several really don't have two sailors aboard, one half of the couple is just experienced enough to do a few tasks.

Chastened
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
weekender,on a trailer. just got it,should be a fun little boat.
Joe,

Being trailerable will give you a real advantage. You'll be able to easily participate in shorthand events up and down the Bay, without long, painful deliveries. Not to mention, just being able to more easily cruise and gunkhole by trailering to the remote parts.

Chastened
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
More power to your new forum.

However, when I consider the population of singlehanded and doublehanded boaters around here anyway, it would be darn near everyone on the water. Not sure there wouldn't be value in a broad forum and there is a Chessy specific forum here.

Of all the 50 +/- boats in our marina, which is a group you would think would need more crew, they are all doublehanded at most. Several really don't have two sailors aboard, one half of the couple is just experienced enough to do a few tasks.
We can certainly petition the mods or forum owners for a general "shorthanded" forum to benefit users globally, but the Chesapeake Google group will remain because that's where we discuss organizing and setting races specific to our region.

Registered
We can certainly petition the mods or forum owners for a general "shorthanded" forum to benefit users globally, but the Chesapeake Google group will remain because that's where we discuss organizing and setting races specific to our region.
Ah, shorthanded racing is another matter. For some reason, racing doesn't get a big following here. I get it.

Chastened
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is value in the techniques and safety discussions for everyone though.

We discuss the obvious stuff like jacklines, tethers and PFD's under nearly all sailing conditions, trackers, PLB's, VHF clipped to the body.

We haven't gotten far in the discussion of techniques, but I'm sure it's coming.

Registered
There is value in the techniques and safety discussions for everyone though.

We discuss the obvious stuff like jacklines, tethers and PFD's under nearly all sailing conditions, trackers, PLB's, VHF clipped to the body.

We haven't gotten far in the discussion of techniques, but I'm sure it's coming.
That's the type of discussion that is too bad won't be included here. I will place a wager that the SN population are nearly all sailing shorthanded [max double] and I'm not sure anything would be all that unique to the Chessy.

Anyway, good luck with the new forum. I'm a one forum guy. Well, that's per interest. I belong to two others on different subject matters. I spend most here, some at the another and nearly none at the third. No room for a fourth.

Registered
Hi, I was not a SailNet user until now, I stumbled across this thread Googling around to find other singlehanded sailors on the Chesapeake - my boat is in Annapolis. I have a '74 Pearson 30 that I bought 15 years ago, sold it 5 years ago when my wife bailed out to ride horses and missed it badly so bought it back last year. I've learned to fly the spinnaker solo and get an endorphin rush every time. Would love to meet up with other local singlehanded sailiors, esp on destination races so there is someone to drink beer with at the end of the trip. I'm not great with checking forums daily; please keep me posted!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.