SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Chocks" or "Wedges" for Keel Stepped Mast??

Hello,

I am the new owner of a 1985 Tartan 28 and have never had a boat with a keel stepped mast. I am not sure how to go about getting mast chocks or wedges? Does anyone know what size I might need or where to go to buy them in person or online? Same goes for the mast boot. I am not sure what to look for or how to obtain the proper product to keep the mast connect sturdy and dry. Any information or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
APM

·
Registered
622 Posts
Re: "Chocks" or "Wedges" for Keel Stepped Mast??

Agree with RU, I used spartite a few years ago and Im very happy with it.

Prior to that the boat had some sort of plastic wedges, starboard perhaps. I like spartite much better. be sure to coat the mast collar with petroleum jelly (or any release agent you like) so that the mast can be unstepped without drama.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. I was hoping to avoid Spartite as the mast will need to be stepped and unstepped after each season. I would prefer to use a combination of wedges and boots but just not sure where to get these or see them online.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,951 Posts
When it is properly installed with a release compound, Spartite is made to be removable every season. It just slides out with the mast.

Other than that you can get flexible urethane strips and that you can cut to length and will block the mast without creating hard spots that can crimp the mast. You can get the material from McMaster Carr here: https://www.mcmaster.com/urethane You will want probably want a 40A hardness but may be able to use a 60A hardness if you want the deck to assume more of the bending loads from mast bend. You can also buy HDPE sheet and carefully spile the opening and cut out a mast blocking collar that fits snug in the opening. You can make it in two halves that can be screwed together, which allows you to install it after the mast is stepped. If you leave a small gap, you can use the screws to clamp the collar to the mast and keep it in place.

I use a PVC mast boot made by Sailing Specialties. Davis or Taylor also made a universal mast boot that I have used but I don't see it online. When I owned a wooden boat, I made a mast boot out of canvas and painted it to seal it. Then there is this: https://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/37_55/features/DIY-Mast-Boot_11740-1.html

Jeff

Reactions: CVAT

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
When it is properly installed with a release compound, Spartite is made to be removable every season. It just slides out with the mast.

Other than that you can get flexible urethane strips and that you can cut to length and will block the mast without creating hard spots that can crimp the mast.

I use a PVC mast boot made by Sailing Specialties. Davis also made a universal mast boot that I have used.
I also use the Sailing Specialties mast boot. I recommend it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: "Chocks" or "Wedges" for Keel Stepped Mast??

I made my chocks for the mast step out of 1/4” thigh G-10 fiberglass. There are 5 in front and 5 behind and 2 on either side. They replaced the 30 year old teak blocks that were getting mushy. I used Spartite in the deck collar instead of the wedges and so far it works great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts