SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I'm a bit stumpted. Looking to glass over some through hulls below the waterline, using epoxy, but I'm not sure what cloth I should be using. The only info I got from the book was just to use "10oz cloth" (around 280g).

Looking at the stores I see plain weaves at 100-200grams, twill weaves at 280grams, and biaxial fabric at 400-800grams.

What I really want to know is just, does it even matter, will any do the job? Or are there certain types that I definately shouldn't use for hull-jobs? And also, what are the uses of a higher or lower weight? Will a high weight cloth create a stronger structure, or is it the other way around?

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
SF,

Have you had a chance to poke around Jamestown Distributors' "How-To" section?

JD How-To Articles

Thay also have quite a few instructional videos:

JD How-To Videos

Can't promise you'll find all the answers there, but hopefully you can find more than a few.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
10 oz glass will work perfectly, i use 6 or 7 oz as its a little easier to wet out, and has a finer finish.

a trick is after you have all the glass on, assuming its done right ie 12 to one taper and stuff. is to put saran wrap or a plastic bag over the epoxy and squeege the heck out of it to remove as much of the resin as you can, just make sure the resin does not bond to the pastic ( test before hand )

1 - 3 of 3 Posts