SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Choptank / Little Choptank Beaches ?

5K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  ekenna 
#1 ·
To date we have sailed mostly north of the bay bridge in Annapolis, and enjoyed achorages like the Sassafras, Still Pond, Worton, Fairlee -- but now we are planning a Memorial Day cruise to Oxford, the Choptank, and Little Choptank. Are there any particular creeks or coves that have a good little strip of sandy beach to keep our 3 girls entertained? Also I'm assuming that the jellyfish won't be around much yet on Memorial Day- am I safe in that assumption ??:confused:

#6 ·
I was going to suggest Hudson Creek too. Just inside the entrance is the long beach MJBrown is referring to, and if you need more protection from any kind of weather, you can go up river another mile or so to a well-protected anchorage to port. It's about 0.75 miles north of green #3 on Hudson Creek, if you need to know where it is.

Here's a pic though looking over our boat at the strip just inside the mouth, taken summer 2010. You can't quite see the beachy part, but you get the idea...it's a nice spot:

#7 ·
You should be okay on the Jellies, too. Have fun!!
It may be safe to assume the original poster was referring to Memorial Day, 2006? Or perhaps they were planning five years in advance.;)

Thanks for the pictures and the anchorage directions, josrulz; I've often wondered what that area looks like close up instead of the trees floating in water apparition I've gotten when passing by.

#8 ·
It may be safe to assume the original poster was referring to Memorial Day, 2006? Or perhaps they were planning five years in advance.;)
Ha!!!:D :D :D :D

Good catch. I completely missed that. I hope they had fun anyway.:D

And yes, mjb & josrulz, thanks for the recommendation and photo of Hudson Creek. Looks like a neat spot.:)

#9 ·
Ha ha! I guess I should have checked the original post date too. Completely missed that. Anyway, Hudson Creek is a nice spot, and we've actually used it as a stop-over between West/Rhode/South rivers and Solomons. Don't get me wrong--it's out of the way--but instead of a single 43 mile day, it's a 30 and a 25 with a nice, pretty stop-over. :D

Here's a pic from further up the creek in that anchorage I mentioned.

#12 ·
... Anyway, Hudson Creek is a nice spot, and we've actually used it as a stop-over between West/Rhode/South rivers and Solomons. Don't get me wrong--it's out of the way--but instead of a single 43 mile day, it's a 30 and a 25 with a nice, pretty stop-over. :D
Appreciate knowing a good stopover between (in our case, Annapolis) and Solomons - thanx!

#16 ·
Great place to spot Eagles

Hudson Creek is a lovely anchorage and is also a great spot to see eagles as they scope out the dead trees along the sand spit. You can anchor in the little curve of the beach and watch the moon. A really special spot... Enjoy.:D

Leslie
Cabo Rico 34
lying Oxford, MD

#17 ·
last year on our way back from the solomon's we stopped in the little choptank but the wind was blowing from the south so we went into fishing creek about 200 yards out front of someone's house. The lob lolly pines were not much of a wind break. Thanks to talking to someone in the solomons we did not go swimming but took buckets of water and poured them over ourself. We were tempted to go in because we could not see any jellies but that was due to the wind. The next day on the way out we were glad we did not and suprised we did not get stung with pour water. We saw tons of jellies. That was in late june.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.