SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw a lightly used spinnaker on the Bacon Sails site that looks very interesting. It has a ChuteScoop snuffer. My only experience is with an ATN. Does anyone know anything about the ChuteScoop snuffer?

Thank in advance for your input.

Regards,
Ron

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
I just saw a lightly used spinnaker on the Bacon Sails site that looks very interesting. It has a ChuteScoop snuffer. My only experience is with an ATN. Does anyone know anything about the ChuteScoop snuffer?

Thank in advance for your input.

Regards,
Ron
Ron--

We had a ChuteScoop on the spinnaker on our previous boat and it worked okay but not quite as smoothly as does the ATN's that we have now. At the right price however...

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
you can also make one! I think any snuffer is great especially on a shorthanded cruising boat

we used on in the indian and pacific crossings....worked great however it was a spanish made sail and snuffer so dont know

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
The ones that work the best have a fiberglass funnel at the bottom end. The others can be hard to snuff. In both cases the sail needs to flag (unloaded) to get it snuffed. I've used a couple on a 34 footer.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Chute Scoop uses a metal ring inside the front of the sleeve. ATN and North Sails use a fiberglass funnel that works a lot more smoothly. If the snuffer is included it can't hurt to try.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I have a Chute Scoop. Actually, I have 2. The one that came with the asym on my boat was a tad short, so I got a newer one that was a few feet longer and incorporated some improvements.

The old one worked fine, but the new one improved how the chute attached to the sail and more importantly the control lines were covered in their own sleeve eliminating the chance of getting them wrapped around the sail and having a hang up deploying the chute.

I haven't used the fiberglass type snuffers but I think I prefer my set up to having a lump of fiberglass sitting atop my asym.

Edited to add the only time I ever had difficulty snuffing was the time I foolishly put up the asym alone on a light air day only to have the wind build to the point I got concerned about it. I couldn't budge the snuffer and since the main wasn't up, I had no way to shadow it. I considered blowing the halyard and trying to get the mess on board before it hit the water, but decided to try starting the motor and running DDW at full power. That reduced the pressure enough that I was able to get the snuffer down. I won't do that again.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
The “toilette seat” on the ATN weighs about the same as the hoop on the chute scoop. The ATN does a better job in dousing if you cannot completely collapse the kite as it does a better job in guiding the edges into the sock. I found that the hoop in the chute scoop tended to bind on the edges on the sail. The difference is too little not to buy a kite if it already comes with a chute scoop.

I installed a ratcheting block with snap shackle on my sock’s dousing line. I snatch the block to a pad eye on the forepeak so I can pull up from the block in order to douse. The ratchet keeps it from “zippering up” if a gust happens to hit it. It has saved my bacon more than once when double or single handing in marginal conditions. If conditions have degenerated past the ability to sock (or if the dousing line gets fouled), blow the tack line and do a “letterbox” take-down under the boom (or between the foot and boom if you main is loose footed)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts