SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the planning stages of building two teak wood ladder back helm chairs. Has anyone had success with Circa 1850 marine adhesive bonding teak?

It is a plastic resin.

Here is a link to the stuff at my local hardware store. CIRCA 1850 MARINE GLUE

·
Super Moderator
5,110 Posts
I have not. I have had good success with Titebond III. Not sure if that helps.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
Would stainless screws be better, so that they can be repaired (ie drilled out and oversized). When adhesive fails on furniture, it usually causes damage.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I haven't used this product. The directions say water resistant not waterproof. I prefer epoxy over glue in outdoor/marine environment.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,218 Posts
That sounds like that is a resorcinol glue since that is roughly the year that resorcinol was invented. Resorcinol is a great product but it requires very tight joints since it has almost no bridging properties.

Modified forms of resorcinol are used on for exterior and marine grade plywood.

I would think that thickened epoxy would be a better option.

Jeff

·
Master Mariner
9,233 Posts
My experience with plastic resin glues (resorcinol) has been almost exclusively on Sitka Spruce masts and booms. It works wonderfully for that, but as wooden masts tend to move a lot that glue wouldn't be the best for chairs. As mentioned above, the standard method in marine boat building (at least it used to be) is "screw & glue".

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,667 Posts
Resourcinal has always been the standard when gluing exotic woods epoxy will hold on teak but West system has developed G-flex and has had very good results gluing teak oak and other woods that are difficult to bond.
Chairs I don't know about the design you have but usually the glue is the secondary part of the structure because they employ round tenons, mortise and tenons, pegged or splined joints with a design that won't necessarily completely collapse if overloaded by an ungainly person.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
anyone have source for Resorcinol glue. wildwood has not made it for may years and the only source I have found is Cascophen G-1131made by Hexion and it is very expensive and only commercially available in large quantities I have been using West system on Teak, oak and sitka spruce and works fine but is not as UV resistant. need to use Varnish with UV inhibiters

1 - 8 of 8 Posts