SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arrived in Grenada earlier today after about 5400 miles from Cape Town. As we entered St David's Bay we crossed our track from 2009. More details later, after a really good sleep. The worst part of the passage was the failure of the double tangs that held the lower shrouds (port side). Made a huge noise when it went and really shook the boat. The crew thought we had hid something very hard. We jury-rigged (lets hear it for Spectra runners) and went about 900 miles babying the rig, but still had the longest 24 hours of the whole trip. The replacements will be about 8" by 8" by 2" thick. Not a relaxing situation to be in.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,136 Posts
Good people, hearty congratulations to you both. Sorry to hear of your shroud trouble but glad you made it safe and sound.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
That is AWESOME, KS - my heartiest congratulations, I'm raising a glass to you as we speak...

Look forward to the full debrief, glad you managed to keep the stick in the boat... A cruising boat cannot possibly have too much spectra/dyneema rope aboard. My best eBay steal of late, was 250' of 3/8 spectra for less than a dollar/foot, that could turn out to be the best money I've ever spent some day... :)

Again, Cheers! What a marvelous accomplishment...

·
19,485 Posts
Great news... Must feel terrific about that.
Looking forward to more details.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,300 Posts
Good news. What now? The season in El Caribe?

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,841 Posts
Wow. That's excellent!

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
BRAVO ZULU! WELL DONE!

...now, take a well-earned break. :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts