SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had changed a clam cleat on my boat with no struggle...now i was ready to change another two and the screws will not budge..any tips? Its not a matter of elbow power either..pieces of the screw are stripping and they will not budge.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Use a screw extractor. I try not put it on a drill, you get more control if you stick it into a socket wrench.

If the extractor can't grip, you may need to drill a small pilot hole in the screw shaft.
Either way, slow and controlled will get you way better results.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think i'm "screwed"..looking from the bottom i noticed that the rocket scientist that had the boat in the past used marine adhesive or some other kind of cement on the screws before he put them back in. Not sure what ill do. The wood base that sits atop the fiberglass also looks to be cemented to the boat so i dont know if i can remove that either.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
You need to use an impact wrench on the screw to break the bonds of 4200/5200. I'm assuming that these are through bolted or are they simply wood or sheet metal screws?

·
Registered
210 Posts
well this just turned into a lager project. If the screws are bonded you may not be able to back them out

on one hand it may be possible to drill thru, and bolt your new clam cleat on but if I did that I'd use a backing plate to ditribute the load

or you could drill it thru, fill it in and then reinstall.

assuming you dont need to take the wood base out anyway.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought of just cutting the nuts but they will still be cemented in the wood and if I try to ply the wood off the sidewall im sure it might do some real damage to the fiberglass..we'll see tomorrow.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have used vice grip pliers from the bottom to just snap nuts off. Stainless is very brittle and breaks with very little effort. I also do this when the bolts are longer than needed. Place nut at required location and rock extra bolt length with the pliers. Install acorn bolts and it will look great.

·
Registered
545 Posts
With all the stuck, rusted, and cemented threaded fasteners; I think I will invest in some left hand twist drills. Occasionally while drilling them out they will break lose and screw out on the end of the drill.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I've got another (though related) problem.
Attempted to remove the last machine screw on my sail track so I could remove the car. The screw head snapped off (of course). I was hoping enough of the head remained to hold the track down. It didn't (of course!). The picture shows a end view with the track bent up above the screw.
I need to replace the screw with a through bolt to hold the track down.
The stainless screw was threaded into the aluminum boom. I didn't have any "Blaster" or similar product, so I tried WD 40. I can barely get a vice grip on the 3/8" of screw inside the boom, but can't break it loose. Don't want to remove the track, as it will probably produce 5 similar problems. Might (very questionable!) be able to cut off the top screw section with a small Dremel tool and drill it out but wanted some feed back before I do that.
I could probably cut the section inside the boom off with a Sawzall, but then what?
Any chance Blaster would break it loose?
Any other Ideas?

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.