SailNet Community banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I got a copy of The Shipkiller after reading some of the recommendations here and agree it is a real gem. But I was stopped cold when I got to the passage about the Nigerian doctor''s father killing two attackers with a sword. I''d read that before somewhere, and realized that the two doctors, and the theme of chasing a huge tanker, are also found in James Garrison''s Fire and Ice. The doctors in his book have different names, but are otherwise identical. Yet Garrison, whose book came out in the 90s (Shipkiller was published in 1978), makes no reference at all to The Shipkiller. Another reader of both books posted a review of Fire and Ice on Amazon.com and noted that it appears to be an unacknowledged sequel to The Shipkiller.

Put in the best light, Fire and Ice could be read as a sequel to The Shipkiller, but the lack of even a tip of the hat to The Shipkiller bothers me.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
"Maiden Voyage" by Tania Abei. True story about an 18 year old who never really sailed on her own before, heading around the world on a 26'' sailboat. Hard to put down.

·
sailor
87 Posts
I guess I''ll add my 2 cents... INNOCENTS AT SEA is a light hearted story of a married couple that begin sailing without any instruction and there progression up thru small boats to larger craft... While reading this book I kept saying to myself., "Cool, I remember doing that", or whoops! I remember doing that too!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Check out http://morgansailing.tripod.com
It lists a couple books by a guy who loves to sail, but it also has a forum where sailors can share stories and experiences, etc.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Another good book- Sitting Ducks by Betsy Hitz-Holman;
Adventures and SERIOUS perils while cruising in Eastern Caribbean - Bequia then on to the ABC's; Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. Extremely well written and gripping book. Betsy was the editor of Cruising World before she went cruising. I hope she will write another book soon!

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
plegare-

Is there any reason you're reviving a thread that's been dead for five years??? There are current threads on books and reading that would have made far more sense to post in, and not been an internet faux pas. please don't do this, as it is considered somewhat poor net etiquette.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I like it when the old posts come up. Nostalgic in a way. And the topics and info are usually just as good (sometimes better) than the recent posts.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
I like it when the old posts come up. Nostalgic in a way. And the topics and info are usually just as good (sometimes better) than the recent posts.
I agree capt! better than starting a new thread. if you have something interesting to add...revive it:)
alot of good info in some of the dead and buried threads.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Yes, but there is a sticky thread on books... so if people posted to that instead... it wouldn't drift back into obliviion... which is why the thread was made sticky in the first place....

21 - 30 of 30 Posts