SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a thread I remembered, so I could reference it properly in my attempted hijack of CDs "Members getting along" sticky. I couldn't find it. Of course, sailnet's search function blows. And Google's site:sailnet.com function wasn't any help either. It is possible that the thread was from some other sailing site I've visited.

But anyway, it got me thinking. Some of these great threads get buried under all the new posts here. It saddens me that these classic threads might get lost, and not be easily accessible to new generations of sailnetters. So I thought I'd start a meta thread for classic Sailnet threads.

Please post a link to your favorite thread, so that it is easily accessible to all. I'll start off with a couple.

Cruising with Bull Dogs
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/29867-cruising-bull-dogs.html

Tin Can Man
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gener...-related/40044-new-circumnav-argue-about.html

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I guess it depends on what you mean by "classic." If, by that, you mean "historical," I can think of a couple, but I can't find them. One was the spelling/grammar thread. Another was the guy looking for a hot female to crew with him. (Yeah, I know, there are plenty of those. But this one was truly great.)

Jim

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim, if you mean hysterical threads, yes those are the ones. I don't know the grammar thread, but I think I remember the guy looking for hot female. But again, useless without links.

Paul, the Conchyjoe posts are priceless. I don't think I ever read that part buried so deep in a loooong thread. A great object lesson on how to get banned from Sailnet.

Have a nice day!
Scott

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim, nice pull. We Gemini catamaran sailors are suave. Some of the Telstar sailors from Performance Cruising are quite sophisticated as well.

Scott

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is a great thread for newbies to read :)

I am just getting through the sailing with bulldogs thread (aka, insisting on bluewater sailing with large dogs that will sink) lol

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's apparently not "classic" if you reply, after a subject search, to a several-year old thread and that fact is pointed out.

How do we distinguish between reviving "classics" and being oblivious? (Sorry, bulldogs were never in my search criteria)

But seriously, there are some great threads that offer fantastic information, and I am still searching them.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,241 Posts
Some of my least favorite single posts are the ones that go: "You realize that the thread you are replying to is X years old?".
I wonder how many were actually posted by SailingDog? No wonder he has over 20,000 posts. I haven't seen him posting around much lately so hopefully he is actually sailing rather then surfing the web.
CapeCodPhyllis is just too much and his/her posts are already in one of the previously linked threads I believe.
The problem arises that so many of these threads are becoming historical as opposed to hysterical.
What about Surfesq and the 'Fight club ...' threads - more history then hysterics perhaps.
Maybe someone will attempt to take an inflatable catamaran to Hawai'i. That would generate some scorn and derision. Any takers?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heather's Flicka thread seems to have been deleted. As has the Tartan/C&C thread. So sad. I wonder how many great threads have been lost over the years. I've only been here for a couple, but I think sailnet has been around for quite a while.

Distant Star may have sunk, but the thread hasn't yet.
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gener...-related/51684-well-my-day-really-sucked.html

I have to agree with Caleb and Skip that it irritates me when someone gets chastised for digging up an old thread. There's lots of good info in some old threads, and some are just topical to new members' questions.

Feel free to add links to threads that are maybe not hysterical, but have great info. But please, no gun or Cuba links. They are on my ignore list.

Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts