SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting my boat ready to sell and notice the holding tank is pretty...uhm.

nasty.

a big brown sludge line inside that wont seem to dissapear no matter how much fresh water i pump thru, and no matter what cleaners i use.

I was wondering if anyone has used bleach in their holding tank. I can remove it at my local pump out station.

any brilliant ideas for removing that gross ring?

thanks!
saltygirl

·
Registered
10 Posts
holding tank

I have a suggestion that you might want to try, but that would be up to you. I would take some ice cube from the freezer( about 10lbs) and drop them down into the tank, fill holding tank to a 1/4 full from the bottom. Take the boat out and let the ice stir on the bottom of tank and it should remove lot of the sludge out of the bottom of the tank, if you wish you can put more ice into it. Then flush tank out and keep doing it until it clear. I am sure that this method will remove quiet a bit of sludge. I hope this help you with what you are trying to accomplish.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Using the ice cubes and adding fabric softener will help break up the sludge and other nastiness in the tank. Make sure that you get the boat to heel a lot as you sail it to scrub the tank thoroughly. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts