SailNet Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Dufour 24 Swooner
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to make the cabin and V-berth of my newly purchased 24' boat ready for overnights with my mildew-concerned admiral.

The boat has foam cushions with classic blue canvas covers that show classic mold specs, but are overall in pretty good shape. The setee covers I can remove and wash, but in the v-berth, someone glued the zippers shut (grumble).

Anyone have tips for cleaning a cover while it's still on? Also, any tips to keep em clean?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Laundry detergent. Moderately stiff plastic bristle brush. Hard work. Then rinse many times. Wring out what you can. Hang up to dry. It will dry reasonably quick. Roll it tight every few hours, or walk on it, to work the water to the surface. If you are lucky like I am and have a filipina GF the endless scrubbing happens automatically with no effort.

·
Registered
898 Posts
You do this with the foam still in cushions?
Yes, because the zippers often corrode shut. Assuming it's foam and not wool or cotton or something crazy. Don't use too much detergent or you will never get it rinsed out. Use huge amounts of rinse water.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
2 suggestions :

1) When my covers need a light clean, I get a can of aerosol upholstery cleaner from the auto store, spray it on, wipe off with a hot damp cloth. Dries out in no time.

2) Rent a carpet cleaner from Orchard Supply, with the upholstery attachment. It vacuums out the water so things will dry out fairly quickly.

Really, though, the best way is to stuff them in the washing machine. Are you sure the zips won't come undone?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Third suggestion : get a foam mattress from the Foam Factory, cut it to shape with an electric carving knife. Make new covers. Will be much more comfortable than that old knackered foam.

I've got a 4" HD foam base, with 2" of medium density, then 1" of soft. Very comfortable but I am starting to run out of headroom!

·
Dufour 24 Swooner
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha, I like the idea of a super comfy bed in the v-berth, but from what I understand of canvas and foam costs, this could easily run me $500+. I'd rather spend that on new gear than replacing working stuff.

Carpet/upholstery cleaner sounds like a smart idea!

·
Barquito
3,887 Posts
I would scrub it lightly with the cleaner of your choice, suck the suds out with a shop vac, rinse with water, suck, rinse, etc. The water won't penetrate too far in if you suck it right out.

Better solution may be to repair the zipper (cut it out and sew in a new one). Then you can take the cover off and throw it in the washer whenever you want.

The final option would be to cover it with a sheet, and hang one of those pine tree shaped air fresheners near by.

·
Registered
898 Posts
If you can guess what I know about what goes on in v-berths you will rinse out that foam with detergent and water. Foam is not harmed in any way by water. It will come out fresh and make the admiral happy to not be sleeping one millimeter away from whatever might have soaked into the foam.

·
Banned
96 Posts
There is a product called 303 , there are many types , fabric cleaner , fab. guard, and so on . For our V berth we have foam covered with canvas, then 2 sheets of egg crate foam covered with a sheet . After a good cleaning try some Fabreeze .

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Replace the zippers. It isn't difficult or expensive. If the covers are mildewed, you can bet the foam cushions are also mildewed and moldy. I had my covers dry cleaned, and I washed the cushions in the bathtub with a splash of lemon juice and a splash of bleach. It takes days for the cushions to dry.

When the cushions are soaked, they are really heavy, and are likely to tear when you try to move them. It might be best to replace the foam.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
If they don't stink, I say buy a 4" memory foam topper and cut it to size. Maybe $100-$150. Then get a flat sheet to lay over and tuck all around. It will blow your mind that a boat bunk can be so comfortable. No matter how clean you get the mattress, no boat mattress is comfortable alone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.