SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I'm going to cut a hole in the top of my aluminum fuel tank so that I can get in and clean it out (long story why, but you can probably figure out why). I plan on getting another aluminum plate about an inch larger to seal it back up, with screws and some kind of sealent. That is my question, what kind of sealant? I was thinking maybe 5200, but I don't know how it reacts to diesal. Anybody know what kind of sealant would be good for doing something like this?

Thanks
Greg

·
1977 Morgan OI 30
438 Posts
auto parts shop

I know that auto parts stores sell certain epoxies that are used for patching diesel tanks. I know too that some the folks here will have better info but in a worse case scenario you'd do OK w that.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Use a RTV silicone sealant that is fuel resistant. :) Don't use 5200. (RTV=room temperature vulcanizing)

·
old guy :)
1,061 Posts
Seabuilt Inspection hatch

I have no affiliation whatsoever with the company. I am going to get an 8 inch inspection hatch from them for my diesel tank.

Take a look at

Seabuilt - Access Plate Systems

It is just a product that makes a lot of sense to me.

Rik

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply's, I'm going to try and get the tank out this morning, if not I will cut the hole while in the boat. I like the inspection port and I may look into it that.

Thanks
Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts