SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my jib sheets are moldy colored. Can I use bleach or will that damage the line. The line is light in color.

Alan

·
Registered
520 Posts
I noticed that my jib sheets are moldy colored. Can I use bleach or will that damage the line. The line is light in color.

Alan
My gut says not to use bleach, but you can put them in a pillow case or mesh bag and throw them in the washing machine. Let them air dry -- no dryer.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Clucas is right. No dryer and no bleach, ever. Oxi clean works until they get really dirty, like 10 years of mold.

·
Vikingsailor
200 Posts
Third that...I washed my lines a couple weeks ago, plus some 3 strand which was stiff and, well...not white.

Stuffed one coiled line each into a pillow case (one line had a shackle spliced in, which went into an old sock for extra padding), and washed them...hung them out to dry. Came out whiter, pliable/flexible...very nice.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Just did this.

Took all of my lines off the boat and washed them. Three step process.

Tub 1 - Luke Warm water (shower/bath temp) and a small amount of liquid soap like Tide, Wisk, or All. Just a few teaspoons worth in about 10 - 15 gal of water.

Tub 2- Rinse water 1 - Luke warm

Tub 3 - Rinse 2 w/Fabric softener (just a couple of teaspoons in about 10 to 20 gallons of water.

Process: Coil rope so that it doesn't become a spaghetti mesh when washing. Dunk coiled rope into Tub 1 and agitate coil vigorously or a few minutes to work out dirt and crude. Pull out and let water drain off of and then dunk into Tub 2 (Rinse wate) and agitate for a few minutes to rinse off soap. Drain and dunk in tub 3 (Rinse + fabric soft). Agitate and allow it to sit in the water for 5 minutes or so. Pull out, drain and hang up to dry fully overnight.

If you have a lot of ropes to do, change wash water every 4 or 5 coils and 1st rince after every 6 to 8 ropes.

DrB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts