SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a bit of a blow here in Kemah Texas yesterday, recorded 67kts in the Watergate marina about 1430 hrs, loads of fun.* At one point the power pedastel that we plug into was wripped from the dock and into the drink, we later fished out the pedatel and cords.* I've flushed the power cords with fresh water, however I have looking for some ideas on how to better clean out any remaining salt water. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
how would salt water penetrate into the cord ? (unless it is defective in which case it should be replaced regardless).

·
Registered
994 Posts
You can try 'No Salt" , which some fishermen use to clean fishing reels and gear... I t nuetralizes the salt... then flush with fresh again. I surmise that you mean saltwater into the plug end connections??

Capt. Crusty
sez
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.. "

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Boto, I think the only practical way to be SURE, is to lop off the end of the cord, see if the core is dry, if not, lop off another yard of cord, repeat.

Just get rid of whatever was damp, because you'll never get the salt residue out if it has gotten into the wire strands. In the unlikely case that the wire was fully tinned, I'd just lop off the last 3-6 feet and ignore the rest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts