SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with a spot cleaner machine? Apparently, there are two types, extraction and steam.
My cushions are 20 years old but look very good.
My son's dog spent a few hours on the cushion and it is full of dog hair and I know it needs cleaning.
Removing them is not much of an option as the fabric is stapled to the plywood.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
I use a full size Bissel carpet cleaner with an upholstery attachment to clean mine each year. It sprays cleaning solution on the fabric and then removes it with a vacuum, so extraction. Works well for routine cleaning and great for removing hair. Pretreating is needed if you have stains. The smaller Bissel machines work the same. .

·
Registered
Tanzer 29
52 Posts
I use a full size Bissel carpet cleaner with an upholstery attachment to clean mine each year. It sprays cleaning solution on the fabric and then removes it with a vacuum, so extraction.
Same. Every other season or so I rent a similar machine from an orange big box store. It takes about 2-3 hours to clean the cushions for the v-berth, aft cabin, and settee. And another 2-3 hours to dry in the sun. The resulting brown liquid gives a mix of satisfaction and disgust.

I can't comment about pet hair, but it otherwise does a great job to brighten the fabric and get rid of odour. Next best thing to reupholstery. Cheaper and faster, at least.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for the information.
Some folks were scaring me that the solution would get into the foam and not dry properly.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have two cats, and one of them thinks it's a good idea to puke on the sofa at home. Poor little thing has cancer, so we cut her a break.

So, with the occasional puking on the sofa cushions, I got a little Bissel extraction machine. Considering all it does is spray some solution and then vacuum it up, it actually works pretty well. I'd say it's a far cry from steam, though.

It usually takes a few days to dry, and that's in the house where the humidity is about 45%. Could be a long dry time on a boat, so taking the cushions home would probably help.

My first choice would be to bring the cushions home, vacuum the hell out of them, and do steam extraction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts