SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions for cleaning rust, etc. from steel rigging cables? Fast, easy?

I didn't sign up for this when I bought the boat, never entered my mind.

Toothbrush? Lol. Need something rather than the tedious wire brush.

Thanks,
sailorjackson

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
pb blaster and a well used scotch brite pad, then a wipe off with a paper towel. if it comes back call a rigger to inspect

how is the rigging?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I think, lol

I was afraid of that, not exactly the answer I wanted, ha ha, I'm allergic to work.

Thank you for getting back to me on this.

S.J.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Jackson, a lot of folks would say that if you can see rust at all, it is time to condemn the cables. Double-check by running a cheap white rag up and down each cable. If it shreds even once, from just one meathook? There are internal failures that you can't see, and it is time to condemn the rigging.

The modern rule of thumb seems to be replacing stainless rigging every 10 years (tropics, salt,heavy use) to 15 years (northern seasonal use) and at 20 years, don't even ask.

If you've got so much rust that you need a wire brush...don't even ask. Cable is way cheaper than a new mast, medical bills, and a tow home. At least get a pro to look at it.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I was afraid of that, not exactly the answer I wanted, ha ha, I'm allergic to work.

Thank you for getting back to me on this.

S.J.
I'm not allergic to work. I can sit and watch it all day long...:D :D :D :rolleyes:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm in Tahoe, the boat's in San Diego, definitely salt water.

Thanks for all the replies, great sense of humor here.

S.J.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts