SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me an update as to the current conditions in and around Galveston Bay after the hurricane? I have to be in Houston anyway in mid June, and I was thinking of bringing down a powerboat to spend some time on the water.

However if things are still in turmoil, I'll leave it at home.

Thanks

·
Big Chicken Baby
410 Posts
Lots of fueling docks are gone, 3 Amigos is still there but there can be a long wait on the weekends. If you need a slip, check before you come. Many marinas still have not rebuilt all of their slips. This isn't a huge problem for smaller boats, but over 38 feet or so there's not a whole lot available.

It is extremely important that you stay in the marked channels. There is a lot of debris that has yet to be removed under water to the sides of the channels.

If you are thinking of heading to Galveston itself, you might want to check ahead. Many services are open but many are still closed and the island itself has a long way to go. The flip side of this is that you coming and spending your boat bucks here will help the boating economy ramp back up and start rebuilding.

I would say that the area is functioning very well, you just need to do a bit more planning for a daysail than normal.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. It's a 21ft Boston Whaler, so slip is not a necessity.

Is there a good site on the web where I can get info on public boat ramps and general information about services?

thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts