SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1982 Skye 51
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have never used an agent to clear into a country but it seems that it is compulsory in Indonesia, at least as far as getting your CAIT (cruising permit). I have viewed the list on noonsite and done some more research around the internet and i am having difficulty finding good information on agents.

We will check into Indonesia in Jayapura having come from PNG. My brain tells me that i should choose an agent based somewhere in the east of the archipelago as it seems it might facilitate communications if things go south but the agents i'm finding seem to be based in Bali or Jakarta...but my brain has been known to be wrong, so, I guess (one of) the pertinent question(s) is: Will I ever meet whichever agent I choose or will it all be conducted remotely, making distance and location a moot point? Does have personal recommendations on agents they have used in the past? I would like to hear all stories, good or bad.

This is new territory for me and any advice is much appreciated. Thanks

·
Picnic Sailor
Moody 425
2,168 Posts
Hi all,

I have never used an agent to clear into a country but it seems that it is compulsory in Indonesia, at least as far as getting your CAIT (cruising permit). I have viewed the list on noonsite and done some more research around the internet and i am having difficulty finding good information on agents.

We will check into Indonesia in Jayapura having come from PNG. My brain tells me that i should choose an agent based somewhere in the east of the archipelago as it seems it might facilitate communications if things go south but the agents i'm finding seem to be based in Bali or Jakarta...but my brain has been known to be wrong, so, I guess (one of) the pertinent question(s) is: Will I ever meet whichever agent I choose or will it all be conducted remotely, making distance and location a moot point? Does have personal recommendations on agents they have used in the past? I would like to hear all stories, good or bad.

This is new territory for me and any advice is much appreciated. Thanks
Have you tried hitting up the Sail Indonesia rally folk?

They might be able to offer some suggestions. Best of luck!

Where are you checking into PNG??

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Good suggestion to see who the Rally uses. How much time do you have? My wife is on some Chinese sailing discussion groups (there are two) and apparently some Chinese sailors arranged their own CAITs but it took three months. If you worked with someone in Bali you would have to allow for shipment of documents both ways, plus the glacial Indonesian bureaucracy.

·
1982 Skye 51
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have used the Sail Indo website for some info but i never considered sending them an email directly. I will be coming from the Solomons, not Australia, so i wonder if thye will be able to help. an email should give me that answer.

there is some time--i will exit NZ in late may, then breeze back through vanuatu (spent much time tehre in 2012) and to the solomons>PNG>indo. for inward clearance sometime in late july(??). I definitely want to get the ball rolling from here, though. Honiaria seems like a bad place to handle this sort of thing...

·
3,506 Posts
Raymond Ledesma was the guy in charge of Sail Indonesia when we did the Sail Indonesia Rally. He had a side business of issuing CAITS to interested cruisers who did not want to join the rally. You will never meet an "agent" on your journey. simply check in with your CAIT at wherever you decide to check in.

Also we attend a Tourism Indonesia party last month promoting the "Ampat Rajat" region. The officials there were very keen on having yachties visit this area.

I will try and get you the email address of this person. She can arrange everything for you. Give me a few days as we are in transit...

Cheers

Reactions: obelisk

·
3,506 Posts
Obelisk,

Here you go:
Ny. Hellen Sarita de Lima /K. SH
Director
[email protected]
sailmalukuarchipelago.com

There was some indication that the "Sail Ampat Rajat" organization may pay for your CAIT. They are keen to promote the region to sailors. Please mention you heard about this area from an informational party given at the Phuket Cruising Yacht Club. The organzation put on a great night with live music, beer and plenty of food.

For an interesting read on Indonesia check out William Manchester's "Krakatoa"
Also Alfred E Wallace spent considerable time in the Ampat looking for the elusive bird of paradise. I remember that Tim Severin wrote a book about recreating one of Wallace's journey here, forgot the title.

the email address is wrong on the above, it want to create a link...should be hellen_ambon @ yahoo.com

·
1982 Skye 51
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I'll send her an email and see what she has to say. Hope you had a smooth passage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts