SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone - I do my rigging test sail on "Zanshin" this morning and if all goes well I will leave Annapolis tomorrow and have one last overnight at anchor (probably at Solomon's) and then head straight for Bermuda or as southerly as I can make it and then straight south to St. Martin.

But I need to clear out of the USA. I've been told that I can take my papers to BWI to do that, but I couldn't find any information online to support that. Has anyone done this or have knowledge of where to go in the airport?

The alternative is to do it at Hampton but I don't think that they are open on Sunday and my weather window is pretty tight, if I depart too late I'll lose the relatively good winds.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
You don't clear out of the USA.

You just leave.

Its sounds crazy but thats what happens. Just leave. Make sure you get an entry stamp in your next port of call

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Mark - I might head straight to Antigua, so I need that form. I've cleared out of the USVI several times for the same reason - those Antiguans really need their paperwork from the last port. Alternatively I might clear into the Dutch side of St. Martin and they can be pretty meticulous as well. Anyway, the form is available online and I've filled it out, but now I just need to get a stamp on it.

Plus I think I need to "relinquish" my cruising permit as well.

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
All US citizens just leave and have no paperwork to prove it was their last port. Not sure about your situation. I don't think you must surrender your cruising permit, as it expires. I think you want to, if one is trying to get the clock restarted, by being out of the country for 15 days, or whatever the standard. Either way, it can't hurt, I suppose.

USCBP website has office listings, which I'm betting you checked. Logic would make me think you need to clear out down in Norfolk, unless you have no plans to layup between Annapolis and open water. Not sure.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
Mark - I might head straight to Antigua, so I need that form. I've cleared out of the USVI several times for the same reason - those Antiguans really need their paperwork from the last port. Alternatively I might clear into the Dutch side of St. Martin and they can be pretty meticulous as well. Anyway, the form is available online and I've filled it out, but now I just need to get a stamp on it.

Plus I think I need to "relinquish" my cruising permit as well.
I have cleared into SXM direct from the USA with no Zarpe and they are fine. Everyone is fine with it because everyone knows you don't clear out of the USA.

But ring CBP on your reporting number and ask them :)

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
Again, just intuitive, but having your old cruising permit with you might demonstrate where you were. Don't take my word for it. I suppose the stamp in your passport does the same.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
It does feel ulta weird.

There is a reason for it: You could stamp out... and then not actually go. Wheras at an airport when you stamp out the *know* you've gone because you go into a secure area and onto a plane with a manifest.

Similar with cruise ships... they stamp you out and you are into the secured area boarding the ship. they know you've gone.

But on a private sailing boat, you go to CBP in the bus, stamp out... then go to the pub, supermarket, catch a train to Texas... etc etc etc Theres no way the actually know youve left.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice - I have such a tight schedule today to sort things out so that I don't miss my little weather-window. If Mark did it into St. Martin then I'll do the same. Last time I left I had to clear out in Norfolk because Jeanneau needed proof that the boat had left the country so they could get their VAT back, so when I arrived in St. Martin I did have paperwork.

I've got the SPOT set up and will get the page up and running that will show my location at 10 minute intervals while on passage - I'll start a separate thread once I have that working correctly.

·
Master Mariner
8,241 Posts
Have a good sail. Perhaps we'll see you somewhere.

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
Have a safe passage! Looking forward to reading how it goes.

Nice luck of the Irish, with air temps over the next several days. Solo on 57 ft is a pretty impressive thing. Best.

·
Dirt Free
2,654 Posts
You don't clear out of the USA.

You just leave.

Its sounds crazy but thats what happens. Just leave. Make sure you get an entry stamp in your next port of call
Sounds like OP has been on the hard in the US and does not have a cruising permit.

If this is the case, a non-US boat must get a "Permission to Proceed" from CBP.
Mess with these rules at your peril. If he gets checked before he is out of US waters he is in serious trouble without a "permission to Proceed" or a "Cruising License".

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
If you’re worried about it just go to USVI. Then you’ll have documentation for when you clear into Marigot St.Martin. Easy overnight sail.
Get your East in early. Parker says strong trades throughout January. I’m leaving 2AM in a couple of days for St.Lucia. But I’m a gentleman and gentleman go to weather in an airplane. From St.lucia heading to Martinique. Eventually will get to leewards either then turn around and go back to Grenada or do SDR to Newport. Be nice to cross paths. Will track you on MarineTraffic.
svHippocampus

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds like OP has been on the hard in the US and does not have a cruising permit.
Don't know why you think that. I have a current and valid cruising permit.

I did call in with CBP and they said that I should just call in my departure from U.S. waters.

Mark - If I arrive in St. Martin and have trouble the next couple of shouts are on you!

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts

If this is the case, a non-US boat must get a "Permission to Proceed" from CBP.
Mess with these rules at your peril. If he gets checked before he is out of US waters he is in serious trouble without a "permission to Proceed" or a "Cruising License".
There is no such thing as a permission to proceed.

Have you a reference to it?

Remember I have sailed into and out of the USA 3 times and am quite up to date with their rules.

Zanshin has a Cruising permit but it is coming up to expire.

He does not need to hand that cruising permit in. It expires automatically when he leaves the USA.

Mark

·
Dirt Free
2,654 Posts
Don't know why you think that. I have a current and valid cruising permit.

I did call in with CBP and they said that I should just call in my departure from U.S. waters.

Mark - If I arrive in St. Martin and have trouble the next couple of shouts are on you!
As i said it "sounds like"..... My impression only.

If you have a current cruising license (not "permit") there is techically no need to check out although each CBP seems to make up his own rules and is the ultimate authority regardless of what the law says.

·
Dirt Free
2,654 Posts
There is no such thing as a permission to proceed.

Have you a reference to it?

Remember I have sailed into and out of the USA 3 times and am quite up to date with their rules.

Zanshin has a Cruising permit but it is coming up to expire.

He does not need to hand that cruising permit in. It expires automatically when he leaves the USA.

Mark
I am currently in Alabama or I would pull copies of my "Permissions to Proceed" from my files and post them for you.

When a non-US vessel has been stored in the US and a Cruising License has expired in the meantime a new Cruising License cannot be acquired until the vessel has left US Water. In this case the vessel needs a Permission to Proceed (out of the country). This is a routine excercise for many Canadian boats stored over summer at places such as Idiantown in Florida. Last year the fee was $27.40. It is illegal for a foreign vessel to move in US waters without a Cruising License or a POP.

Here ya go .... apply for one yourself.
https://cbp-form-26.pdffiller.com/

1 - 20 of 37 Posts