SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I got the mooring, it suddenly occurs to me that a footstool isn't going to be good enough to climb up the side of my boat and into the cockpit. While I only have a small boat, she's got a pretty high freeboard(27 inches), with a rail another 8 inches above that. What do you use in my situation?

I thought maybe this would work: Ladder Aluminum 4 Step 11"" Hook 47""

Its always something! I thought I could paddle out to the mooring but the one I got is a good 200+ yards from the dock, and as much as I like rowing, it looks like a 40lb thrust electric troller is a better deal if the water isn't smooth as glass(and a backup into the mooring for the 5HP honda)!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
On one of our past boats, the previous owner built a wood step, padded on the boat side with 4 wires in the corners and carabiners to attach to the toe rail. It would hang over the side and lie against the boat. It also stowed compact.

I've seen but cannot find a picture on line an inflatable fender like thing with 2 lines on it that you can buy that hangs over the side like the step described above. I've used this on other people's boats, it seemed to work OK. Maybe someone knows where to get one.

Both these are options to a ladder, and space saving on a small boat. No matter how big your boat is, there's never enough storage.

Good luck (I like moorings better than marina docks...quiet, fewer neighbor problems)....:)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Good luck (I like moorings better than marina docks...quiet, fewer neighbor problems)....:)
Halyard with figure 8 knots and wood string would be pretty each to make. And the steps didn't squash against the boat?

Thanks.... the inflatable is something to search for. Up here in Downeast, there aren't than many Marinas to choose from anyhow. Even moorings are hard to get in certain places unless you join a yacht club(which is kinda fun, of course).

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could make one of those for about $4.98 or less. But no, I need to step of abut 27 inches. I have a swim ladder, but when I sail, nobody swims. The water temperature is generally in the 40's and 50's. A bit cold for casual swimming without a full thick wetsuit.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,036 Posts
When on a mooring, I board from my transom mounted swim ladder.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
These are a great idea
.....until I checked them out on Amazon and discovered that they are hideously expensive for something that you blow up.
You are not supposed to blow it up, you are supposed to inflate it :)

I have the single step version on my boat, I only need one step to get from my dingy or the dock.

Seems the FenderStep cost two times a normal fender

Norwegian prices
http://www.seatronic.no/fender-fortoyning-fendere-c-233_71
Fender2Step is NOK 450 = USD 73
A large fender is NOK 189 = USD 31

US prices
Fenders | Boat Fenders | Docking | West Marine
FenderStep USD 83 = NOK 511
Fender 6" x 25" USD 48 = NOK 295

·
Frozen Member
565 Posts
I could make one of those for about $4.98 or less. But no, I need to step of abut 27 inches. I have a swim ladder, but when I sail, nobody swims. The water temperature is generally in the 40's and 50's. A bit cold for casual swimming without a full thick wetsuit.
No one swims outta our boat either in Alaska (mostly) but we still have a swim ladder for getting into kayaks, dingy, etc. Also, we have a standing rule that if you are alone, and the boat is stopped, the swim ladder is out. A slip off the deck on the hook could end poorly without it. I really want to replace it with a fixed kind that could be pulled down with a line.

While I think I could climb my rudder/outboard in a moment of possible death induced panic, I have experienced fast cold water immersion before and know it can sap your energy WAY faster than you expect. I want an easy way outta the water.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I decided against the toe pinchers and the flimsy aluminum; I went with the 4-step, telescoping, stainless steel boat ladder.
If you want a solid aluminum single step that mounts securely and has secure footing, check out the Edson step, like the one we use: Edson One-Step Boarding Step

Of course, you'll have to pay more to join the Edson club, but you won't be disappointed with the quality and functionality. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've decided to build one to my spec, and set it up for turning the ladder on the side for boarding. Its easier to get into the boat from a side ladder on the ground than from a front facing one, and I suspect with moving water, the same. This should be true especially if I have to step down the ladder to pick up a mooring line. Sitting at the side of the boat on a side facing ladder would be possible, but on a front facing ladder this would be impossible. I'll take a photo and post it when I build it.

·
Load Bearing Member
644 Posts
My new boat also has high freeboard.

I'm going with the FenderStep as soon as my checkbook recovers from my line wrapping issue. Probably the single.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
Fenderstep:

Kinda clever, but I think I'd put a strip of Treadmaster tape across the stepping part of it. Otherwise it looks like an accident just waiting to happen.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts