SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,264 Posts
I learned the lesson about keeping your tanks full during the winter the hard way this spring. Nikko carries 100 gallons of diesel in two tanks. We ran one tank down to where we believed it had about 10 gallons left inside then switched over to the other tank for the rest of the winter. In May, we got to a point where the tank we had been running on was getting close to empty by our reckoning, so on our way home from an outing, we switched to the other tank that had been mostly empty all winter. Then the motor died. Pulled the cover to the Racor, saw it was full of water and drained it and then ran a hand pump to prime it and just got more water. We eventually made it home.

Later, I pumped out both tanks. I eventually got five gallons of water out of that lower tank after all the five gallon buckets settled out at home in the garage. I was pretty impressed at how much water had accumulated. Working through the 1.5" fitting for the fuel hose, I was able to swish some hot soapy water around the bottom of the tanks with a long stick then used a small diameter shop vac hose to suck it back out. Tanks aren't absolutely clean, but they're good enough to last another thirty years.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts