SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between a marine graded CO detector and a residential one? Does it matter? A residential CO detector costs $25 in my local hardware store, while the marine one in West Marine costs over $100! Is this a scam?

·
Administrator
5,924 Posts
They will both do the same thing, but the marine detector may last longer in a damp environment such as a boat usually has.

·
Administrator
8,353 Posts
I bought a First Alert fire detector, its not carbon monoxide, just smoke. Very cheap. I have it placed, not screwed in, near the nav station.

When I have a cooking accident it goes off and I chuck it in the forward cabin... So its a nice test!

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
I purchased my explosive gas detector for $35 fro Amazon - works like a champ, even detected battery acid gases in the cabin when the regulator went out and the batteries were overcharging. I couldn't smell the acid fumes, but the detector did. Saved me a bundle, and maybe a nasty battery explosion. As for the difference, there is none. Same holds true with marina V/S automotive stereo systems - no difference whatsoever. Even down the coating on the PC boards to prevent corrosion - it was identical. However, yuo can go to the go to the JC Whitney catalog and find a great car AM/FM/CD stereo player for under $50. You won't find anything remotely close to that price in a marina catalog.

Cheers,

Gary :cool:

·
Administrator
5,924 Posts
One possible disadvantage to using non-marine products when available is that it might give an insurance company reason to deny a claim. Personally, I'd rather err on the side of safety and my insurance company and not take a chance. Your acceptable level of risk may differ.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts