1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Two boaters were rescued Monday after their sailing vessel became disabled 72 miles east of Cape May.

Coast Guard officials say they received notification from the two boaters that their sailboat was out of fuel, and drifting due to lack of wind.
Out of fuel means "disabled" on a sailboat? Since when?

From the photos, it does look like it's pretty much a flat calm. So - my guess is that they were motoring to get somewhere, ran out of fuel, then ran out of patience to wait for wind and called the CG.

I hope that's not the case.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,489 Posts
Out of fuel means "disabled" on a sailboat? Since when?

From the photos, it does look like it's pretty much a flat calm. So - my guess is that they were motoring to get somewhere, ran out of fuel, then ran out of patience to wait for wind and called the CG.

I hope that's not the case.
Evidently that was exactly the case. On the one hand, I think it is good that the CG would provide fuel to allow the yacht to make it to shore. On the other, I think the yacht owner should be charged for, if nothing else, the fuel burn to get to him/her and back. (This is a case where a BoatUS "Unlimited Towing" policy likely would have come in very handy, eh?)

FWIW...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts