SailNet Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Purchased a used sailboat that has USCG Documentation and was curious if anyone had experience transferring documentation and specifically turn-around time. Thanks...PK

·
Registered
462 Posts
Turnaround is pretty slow. Maybe as much as six months. But the effective date will be close to the date they receive your complete application, so will be able to insure and use your boat.

That's how it went for me in the fall of 2013.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Hello,

I've done it twice. First time in 2006 when I bought my O'day. Then again this past December when I bought my C&C. The process is VERY simple. Just follow the procedures listed on the CG web site
USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, Forms Page

Fill out the forms, send them in with the $.
Then wait.

It will take close to 6 months. I was able to register my boat in NY with proof that I had submitted the forms.

good luck,
Barry

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
wow when did that happen?

what sequestration?

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
so last fall they implemented a law that now makes it take 6 months to get your document?

that sucks guys

·
Administrator
5,922 Posts
Oh. No. I thought you were asking when the sequestration happened. Sorry.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
I dont know what sequestration means either sorry

jajaja

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
oh ok...Im not in the states right now so have no idea what it is

peace

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
I'm a seaman in the Gulf of Mexico, I upgraded my license end of last year, I was told there were the long delays due to the government shutdown. Once the government got back up and running the USCG was still not operating for another week or so. So they were out for about a month. Can you imagine the backlogged forms and documentation they had when they started that first Monday morning!? They haven't caught up but they did do something smart. They aren't taking calls on Fridays so they can just do paperwork. Makes sense so they won't be interrupted during filing.

Thought I would share my information I was told/know..

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
6 months...incredible. When I bought my boat 4 years ago, I mailed my application in on Monday. Had my document on Friday....yes, the same week.
I don't remember my exact return time on my last transfer of title, but I don't think it was over six weeks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts