SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ahoy All! i'm Liz. i'm a fairly new sailor, long-time powerboater from Chicago. after a season of racing i've fallen in love with all aspects of sailing, and will be moving to Melbourne, Australia, in November to continue pursuing the sport. the last big item on my gear list is a foul-weather jacket. i want something pretty lightweight so i can wear it year-round and just layer up underneath it when i'm cold, but also sturdy and protective against the elements.

i am torn between two that i've found:
this one looks a little tougher: WOMENS COASTAL RACER JACKET

but i like this one too (i'd get in ice blue, so the price is lower as well): W CREW COASTAL JACKET 2

anyone have any thoughts/experience/further questions for me? i kind of like the look of the Gill better, but two of the guys i sail with out here have not been very satisfied with the Gill pants they purchased, so i'm a little wary.

any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
I have both Helly Hansen (coastal) and Gill (Atlantic) jackets.

I like both.

Not much help, I guess.

Reactions: eherlihy

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I have both Helly Hansen (coastal) and Gill (Atlantic) jackets.

I like both.

Not much help, I guess.
I'm a Helly Hansen fan, too. I still wear an HH jacket (Helly Tech 3) for sailing that I bought in 2002. And, that even includes digging it out of Katrina mud in my house, where it sat for six weeks, running it through a washer, and finding it was just as good as new. :D

Reactions: hubblenaut

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
@Jackdale: if you don't mind going into more detail, in what scenarios do you find yourself using each jacket? do you find you prefer one more or less for certain conditions?
thanks!
The Helly Hansen is a lighter duty jacket. I last wore in Panama in the rain.

The Gill is much heavier duty, higher collar; great in colder weather.

My avatar shot is Helly Hansen

This is my Gill.

·
Registered
9,376 Posts

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
iv found that for style and durability, if your not planning on doing the horn, though Melbourne can get bluddy cold and miserable in the winter SLAM are the best I've bought over 50 yrs. sailing, great women's

side to
Yes, well... not as cold as Hobart!! :p ..and it can get mighty warm here too in the peak of summer, although that doesn't hit until Feb/March.

If Hubblenaut's coming over in November, that's right at the start of peak sailing season. She couldn't have timed it better, IMO. :)

To get back on topic: You really can't beat Musto, but by crikey you pay for it. SLAM & Henri Lloyd are good enough for most people.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.