SailNet Community banner

What kind of sailing do you like doing the best?

• Coastal

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • Offshore

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
As far as pure enjoyment goes, I enjoy coastal sailing better. You can't beat anchoring up every night and getting a full nights sleep. However, there are great things to see and experience offshore, but overall, I consider offshore sailing more "work" than "play."

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
I prefer to coastal sail until I get offshore then I like offshore sailing, both are a challenge in their own ways. Coastal you have too many other vessels to keep an eye out for and the shipping lanes can be a biotch. Offshore sailing means less sleep making meals on a slant and no running for a port to make repairs or get fuel.

·
first sailed january 2008
1,409 Posts
I want to combine the two, but I guess that's pretty much a given. Sail offshore to reach the destination, and coastal cruise once there. Although I really want to go to the South Pacific and the islands are so small and far art, I think it would be considered mostly offshore sailing with breaks at anchor.

I can only assume I'll love sailing offshore. I had better anyways.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I prefer coastal sailing. The main reason is, I get the sailing I'm looking for, more often. Sometimes the wind and conditions make for a perfect passage sail, but I haven't had all that many. Too often passages have turned into powering.

Coastal sailing I can often find ideal sailing conditions and sail them to where I want to go, or change destination, and go where the wind will take me, nicely.

In order to do that, it helps to be sailing a coastal area that is spread out, a broad water area of islands, peninsulas, wide and narrow bays and a diverse area of anchorages and ports to choose from.

In areas like this, I find I can slow down, sail more, and power less.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
It's hard to beat getting up from a sound sleep in a quiet secure anchorage with no schedule. Having a leisurely breakfast. Raising the anchor mid morning. Sailing to your next destination and arriving around 4PM. Getting settled, having your sundowners (hang the grill first), grilling up some nice dinner while the sun sets, and having dinner on deck.

Offshore sailing is just a way to get to a place where you can do some coastal cruising. It's not harder, easier, higher skill, lower skill, or anything like that...just not as much fun IMHO.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
that would depend on the sailor wouldnt it? jajaja

beleive it or not some cruise around the world for the actual sailing not just the stops...

·
Swab
825 Posts
It's hard to beat getting up from a sound sleep in a quiet secure anchorage with no schedule. Having a leisurely breakfast. Raising the anchor mid morning. Sailing to your next destination and arriving around 4PM. Getting settled, having your sundowners (hang the grill first), grilling up some nice dinner while the sun sets, and having dinner on deck.

Offshore sailing is just a way to get to a place where you can do some coastal cruising. It's not harder, easier, higher skill, lower skill, or anything like that...just not as much fun IMHO.
Well, I liked the first bit. that can be great; until someone in a 50 ft trawler pulls into the anchorage at 6PM and fires up the generator they will leave running all night, or a bunch of kids who love Hip Hop, have a powerful amplifier and have decided to party 'til dawn.

But I can't agree with the second paragraph. Offshore voyaging, to me, is the epitome of the cruising experience.:cool:

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Hey Vega, I'm with you on the 50 trawler...down here it's more like the 130 ft chartered clorox bottle with an inflatable waterside and the charter's kids buzzing in jet ski's.

Compared to that I'd rather be offshore for sure.

I'm thinking more of a a couple of places in Maine and Nova Scotia....most of the clorox bottles are allergic to fog:)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Really? I think you must be doing it wrong ;)
Very possible! I should have put in a disclaimer that my only offshore experience has been on deliveries, never cruising my own boat, so that might change things somewhat. :)

Still, like I said, I still like offshore. I get the bug every other year or so where I really really really don't want to see any land for a little while...

·
Registered
21,795 Posts
Offshore is an adventure in preparation and execution where the feeling of accomplishment, after the fact, is as rewarding as the experience. Coastal is a vacation, although, the amount of adventure involved is variable. You can have as much or little as you choose.

Reactions: Argyle38

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I enjoy coastal sailing all of the time. I only go offshore to get someplace and I usually it enjoy for the first day, and then I'm ready to see something again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts