SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have read a out issues with the Bay of Biscay, and am wondering if anyone has any info about harbor hopping down the coast from Great Britain. I have seen a lot of sailboats at La Rochelle, both in the harbor and out in the water, so somebody can do it! I'm specifically looking for guidebooks or firsthand knowledge.

Thanks for any information.

Wade

Super Moderator
We cruised down that coast, stopping in the Scillies, then Royan, Arcachon, and St.Jean de Luz. It can be a disastrous lee shore with waves making the inlets totally impassable, so pick a good weather window. Currents can also make the inlets tricky, with standing waves and short periods. The current shifted against us as we went into Arcachon and we ended up anchoring off to the side for the night half-way up the channel. The current is fierce and it's a long way in.

Super Moderator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
Back in December, there was a good article on the Bay of Biscay in the British publication Yachting World:

Jeff

Reactions: Wade

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information. That is what my limited reading referred to, but I was hoping it was just one or two areas. When I go, I am going to make sure I am not in a time crunch. Always a good, seems especially true here.

Registered
You don鈥檛 say whether you are crossing to get down to Canaries or just cruising for the fun of it. Lots of great sailing down through Brittany, Vendee and then La Rochelle, Bordeaux Cap Ferret and Bayonne before you get onto the Northern Spain coast. If you have the chance to take the time and choose the right time of year (August and September was when we did it but I think June and July are ok as well) and weather windows then it will be a fun and memorable sailing (and gastronomic) experience.

Happy to provide more detail if you want to PM me

1 - 5 of 5 Posts