SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever make their own cushions? I just priced out a set for my Catalina 27 and I don't think I'm willing to spend $800+ on a set of 2-3 cushions.

Any suggestions, comments?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
991 Posts
I was thinking about making tie-dye ones. It's not too complicated. My mom took a class in upholstery once and made a chair. Foam, batting, canvas, thread. Voila!

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
Anyone ever make their own cushions? I just priced out a set for my Catalina 27 and I don't think I'm willing to spend $800+ on a set of 2-3 cushions.

Any suggestions, comments?

Thanks,

Chris
Well if things go well and I buy the boat I'm looking at I'll be having to make cockpit AND cabin cushions. I have recovered other things so it should be too hard. If you have any decent sewing expertise it wouldn't be hard at all. One thing I would recommend is that you either use Marine grade vinyl or Sunbrella fabric for exterior cushions. You MIGHT need an industrial machine so that might be show stopper. Also make sure you get accurate measurements.

Good luck!!!

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
I was thinking about making tie-dye ones. It's not too complicated. My mom took a class in upholstery once and made a chair. Foam, batting, canvas, thread. Voila!
Don't forget the big sewing machine :) If you keep the material light enough you might be able to use a household machine. My mothers Singer 2000 used to be able to sew through about 7 layers of denim.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I got a price on re-doing the interior on my Catalina 30, and nearly went into cardiac arrest!!!! I calculated the cost of doing it myself & it came out to a savings of 77%, assuming that my time is worthless - which is not far from the truth! Either of our home sewing machines will handle Sunbrella or equiv with a heavy needle. My limited experience says that if you have never done it, keeping a long seam straight is not as easy as it looks. Especially if there is welting or a zipper involved. I'm also thinking about investing $50 in a sheet of 3/4" plywood and formica to use as a layout table. I think it would make layout and foam handling so much easier.

·
Registered
991 Posts
People are such naysayers here, it really irks me.
You don't need an industrial machine if you use lighter fabric, you don't have to have zippers either! When was the last time you unzipped a cushion? Also, so what if the seam is not perfect, it's just a peice of foam you put your ass on while sailing.

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
True. although I did mention that lighter fabrics COULD be done with a household machine. As long as you know how to make a pillow you can make a cockpit cushion. You just make it inside out and keep the last seam on the back edge so it's not visible then sew it up when you get it stuffed.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My wife made our cushions with a standard household machine from sunbrella fabric. She said it was hard fitting corners, but definitely doable. You can get good advise on materials from the folks at Sailrite. Sunbrella Fabrics, Sailcloth, Sail Kits, Canvas and Sail Hardware for Do-It-Yourself They are always glad to talk to you about choices and provide advise. They also have online instructional videos on how to make many boat projects including several on cushions.

·
Registered
288 Posts
When I calculated the cost of getting canvas product for my boat it came to somewhere between 8 and 10 thousand dollars (cabin cushions, sail cover, bimini, dodger, sheet bags, series drogue etc, etc, etc.

Being cheap, I looked for alternatives and found Sailrite. I have no experience sewing (with machines that is - I've mended lots of sails with palms and hand needles while underway). I bought one of their sewing machines and got their instructional videos and I'm spending the cold off season making lots of stuff for a whole lot less. Made a spare room into a sail loft, put in my Ipod with good speakers and I'm having a ball. Of course, since I'm retired I do have more spare time than I had, but if you don't want to spring for what it cost to have someone make things for you and you are handy at making things, give it a try.

I really do love Sailrite for their good instructional materials and I recommend them highly (and I have no connection with them other than as a happy customer). I'll post pictures of some of my projects as soon as I finish them and figure out how to post pictures. Can someone point me to instructions?)

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
My wife made our cushions with a standard household machine from sunbrella fabric. She said it was hard fitting corners, but definitely doable. You can get good advise on materials from the folks at Sailrite. Sunbrella Fabrics, Sailcloth, Sail Kits, Canvas and Sail Hardware for Do-It-Yourself They are always glad to talk to you about choices and provide advise. They also have online instructional videos on how to make many boat projects including several on cushions.
Well, We don't have the boat yet but that's pretty much what we're planning on doing. We're also planning on redoing all the interior cushions because they're hideous plaid :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
When I calculated the cost of getting the canvas products I wanted for my boat and it came to 8 to 10 thousand dollars I had a near coronary. Being the kind of person who likes doing it on my own I bought a sewing machine and got to work. Put a sail loft in an unused room and bought a heavy duty machine from Sailrite and I strongly recommend them (I got their name from someone on this site, by the way). They have terrific video instructions to help the sewing machine challenged like me. Now I'm making cushions, sailcovers, bimini, dodger, drogue etc. I'll post some pictures as soon as I finish some projects and figure out how to post pictures on this site. Incidentally, I have no commercial or other relation with Sailrite other than as a customer.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Admiral replaced the bimini last summer (remember summer?).
This winter we've just started on the cockpit cushions.
We're using Phifertex Plus. It's an open weave material that lets water pass through instead of getting soaked. Using reticulated foam on top over closed cell foam with drain holes (as recommended by sailrite).

We have an old sears machine and we've sewn through 7 layers of sunbrella, zippers, etc. The key is OLD, with metal parts instead of plastic.

We put about $350 into the bimini as opposed to paying about $2500, just for the top.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I made all my cushions both for the cockpit and the cabin. Cost of materials all sumbrella, foam for marine use shipped to house and a sewing machine cost less than cockpit cushions alone.

Used brown paper to make templates and traced onto cushions and material. I had never sewn anything in m life and they came out really good. You just need a large space and take your time. Practice stitching before you start.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have purchased all the materials and will begin the sewing this weekend. I have an old Kenmore machine (all metal parts). It does well enough, the hardest part is feeding all the material through the small opening on the right of the machine. It will not be as bad with the cushions, it was a real pain with the bimini.

I am no seamstress, but I think they will look OK. Choosing the materials and determining the snap fasteners and to zipper or not to zipper took a long time. Decided on the Phifertex from sailrite.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I bought a Pfaff 130 on ebay cheap, great machine. Then looked around net and found this site. If you follow these instructions to the T as it were you can recover all your cushions with no problem. It's not that hard and you can save a lot of money..... just don't tell your buds your are taking up sewing!! Creating a Couch Slipcover | Expert Village Videos
Thanks Winterbuoy, those videos were helpful.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts