SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sailing season is almost on us and we still have no cushions for the cockpit. We can get along without--did last year--but I imagine it has to be more comfortable. But what kind to get/make? What fabric? Problems?

So, what kind of cushions does everyone have? How do you keep them in place? Happy with them?

Thanks!

·
19,489 Posts
Generally we find the cockpit cushions great when moored and lounging, and pretty much a PITA while sailing, so stow them then. Difficult to keep in place when heeled without unsighltly velcro or some such (unless you have substantial fiddles on the seat edges - which would have their own issues.)

We really like our collapsable " deck chairs" from WM or whoever... good back support, esp for cockpits with lesser coamings.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Try C-Cushions, they're vinyl coated, closed cell foam - great when sailing - we even left them in place when enduring two different Force 10 storms over the years. And, they make great floatation devises if it comes to that.
C Cushions - Custom cockpit cushions for boats

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
john, I'm definitely curious about the vinyl coated type cushions. Do they stick down on the bench because of their natural stickiness? How do they feel against the skin? Durability? Hot in the sun? What color do you have? (Sorry for all the Qs!)

faster, I'm with you on the cushion chairs that flatten out or provide a backrest as needed. We have 2 and we love them.

wouldashoulda, type IVs is what we use right now. But they're all over the place it seems, including under foot.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just sit on my old Type IVs!!
Yup, yup. Admiral in training tried throwing the old ones out when we got the boat. I squirreled a few away. Everyone fights over them now and the loser gets the new closed cell ones.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I always just used my Type IIIs in the past or those folding seats, which are popular with the crew because they provide comfortable back support. They just slide off the seats when under way, however. So I have just received shipment of a very nice set of custom Sunsure cockpit cushions, which come with the hardware to clip them onto the seats. I go tthem on clearance from beneteauowners.com, but I would certainly look there and here at the Sailnet store for some ideas.

·
October Moon B43
400 Posts
While we have sunbrella covered cockpit cushions we also use individual seats for extra comfort. Google a seat called the Free Bag. It's a bean bag cushion that can be set up as a seat and back rest. It has a nice cover that can be removed for washing, plus a strap that you can use to keep it in place. I bought one for my wife a few years ago and she loves. While it's call a Free Bag it's anything but, with a cost in the $80-90 range. I on the other hand use the throwable cushion at the helm.

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There was a thread earlier this year on "suitable materials" for cockpit cushions
Ah yes, you made those nice Phifertex cushions. And I assume those snap onto permanent snaps on the cockpit benches?

I'm definitely interested in how well the different cushions work and wear, and how they stay in place. I'd rather not stick velcro or screw down anything.

OK, the beanbag thing, that's new to me! I couldn't find the Free Bag thru Google but did find one person selling beanbags with marine grade cover.

·
Banned
12,373 Posts
We made our own with bought closed cell foam, sunbrella material and a Sailrite machine.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Ah yes, you made those nice Phifertex cushions. And I assume those snap onto permanent snaps on the cockpit benches?

I'm definitely interested in how well the different cushions work and wear, and how they stay in place. I'd rather not stick velcro or screw down anything.
We haven't been out yet, still winter. But they replaced old cushions that had the same snaps and they absolutely stayed put. The snaps are at the base of the cockpit coaming, out of the way of anything. We leave the cushions in place 100% of the time. There is one spot that gets most of the traffic in and out of the cockpit at the dock. We put a small bathroom carpet there to take the shoe dirt.

·
Registered
123 Posts

OK, the beanbag thing, that's new to me! I couldn't find the Free Bag thru Google but did find one person selling beanbags with marine grade cover.
We have not used the new ones yet but the old cushions had the same mechanics and material. The snaps held well, there was one that was broken, but the remaining snap held the cushion in place well enough.

We replaced the cushions because they were ugly and dirty and the missing snap, but they appeared to be 20
+ years old. The old ones were closed cell foam only and were not very cushy. The new ones have a layer of soft cushy foam for comfort.

·
Registered
996 Posts
We have closed cell cushions in a plastic/nylon/vinyl mesh cover. They are about 1 1/2 inches thick and surprisingly comfortable. They don't move at all until we go past 35 degrees. If we leave them out in the rain thaey ar pretty dry within a couple of hours.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts