SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The design of the drain prevents all of the bits of sludge and debris from draining which invariably leaves the surrounding area a bit of a mess. It accumulates quickly, it's gross, I don't like looking at it and it's a chore to clean. Any ideas how this could be improved?

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
It's a tradeoff between that slotted cap keeping stuff from going into the hose (and potentially getting caught and being difficult to clear) and dealing with the mess of the stuff collecting on top and backing up. My cockpit drains are 1.5 inch fittings and wide open. Did have a problem with one getting clogged this spring in the yard from debris from the trees, but never when on the water. What have you got if you remove that slotted SS top?

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
hmm that's tricky. That well and strainer and raised edge cause water to collect there until it drains, while the solids settle and stain. That trough is an odd feature too. I'd be tempted to raise ( extend) the drain and make everything flush to the rest of the cockpit sole. What's the bulge under the strainer? Gasket? Chaulk? That's also restrictive. Could you get that flush at least and try a strainer that's a least the size of the drain. ( larger) ? or like JimsCal suggests: remove the strainer. My drains are wide open ( well, actually there's two cross bars) but no strainer. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Morris makes a custom cover for these things....I know, crazy expense needlessly over the top, but the point is thing is mostly open. I've never had one clog with debris. The hose is large diameter. Even if it clogged, which it never has, assuming it's a relatively straight run I think sticking a garden hose in there and giving it a blast would clear it. I'd loose the grate.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
the raised thru hull fitting is the problem. replace it with a flush thru hull

1 - 5 of 5 Posts