SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hubby started digging what we thought was a small bit of rot around our hinges, but you know how it goes, it is never a small bit of rot.

Was wondering if another pacific seacraft had to do this repair, what you used for core, how you dealt with the edges( since there is only one side with a flange), etc.

As you know those lids are tanks, even with what seems to be a fully rotten core, the lids are solid, with no spongy feeling when you stand on them.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Maine Dub
215 Posts
That's one I havn't heard of in a PSC. I had a similar bit of rot in a C&C years ago that started around the hinges and it had gotten a bit spongy. I dug out the spongy stuff near the hinges and back filled with solid epoxy, redrilled the hinges and that fixed it. Are your hatches foam orb also cored?

·
Mondofromredondo
221 Posts
The core is most likely rotten to the core. LOL.
I'm thinking the best you can do without removing all the core and is cut away the (I'm guessing) plywood core to at least a 2" margin around the hinge repair area. Grind it down to the fiberglass skin only. Cut multiple plies that become successively smaller starting at 2 X 2 then resin your plies to the repair area starting with the big plies first down to the smallest being last. Like building an Xmas tree from the ground up. So in other words you are replacing the core in the hinge areas with fiberglass. I'd be laying down at least 30 -40 successive plies. An easier method would be to aquire pre-cured fiberglass (approx 3/16" to 1/4" ) and cut to cover the repair areas with at least 1/2" margin of excess all around. Then glass over the pre cured fiberglass to adhere to the bottom of the hatch. Ultimately your merely trying to create a buildup of material on the underside of the hinge. If it does not adhere well it won't be a huge issue as the compression from the attach bolts which will go thru the repair area will hold everything nice and tight. Don't forget to seal the edges of the thru holes with resin after you've drilled thru the repair area and bed the hinges to prevent water ingress.

I've done similar repairs on my Cal some years back and both methods worked extremely well.

Best of luck on that !!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would concentrate on the area immediate to the hinges. It has to be the point where water entered. If you can stand on the rest, let it ride...spend money on other things or if you're ADD like me have the factory make a new one for you. Might be a few bucks but it will be done right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts