SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Crealock 37
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you using to contain lines in the cockpit -- the sheets, halyards, etc. that end up underfoot?

I don't care for the option of just throwing the lines down the companionway into the cabin since they are then underfoot of the admiral.

I have seen a nice little device on a Beneteau charter boat. I plastic fitting with a loop of cord on the bottom, hook on top. You coil the line, pass the loop of cord through the coil and hook back to the top. The line is contained yet easy/quick to get to.

I haven't been able to find them searching around...but then I don't know what they're called to the search may have been less than perfect.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I use something called a HandyHanger. Got them from sailcare.com. Sounds something like what you are describing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
What are you using to contain lines in the cockpit -- the sheets, halyards, etc. that end up underfoot?

I don't care for the option of just throwing the lines down the companionway into the cabin since they are then underfoot of the admiral.

I have seen a nice little device on a Beneteau charter boat. I plastic fitting with a loop of cord on the bottom, hook on top. You coil the line, pass the loop of cord through the coil and hook back to the top. The line is contained yet easy/quick to get to.

I haven't been able to find them searching around...but then I don't know what they're called to the search may have been less than perfect.

Thanks in advance.
My husband and I have both looked for the same thing (was the charter boat Moorings by any chance?).

We actually found a pretty close match to those hooks at our local boat yard. For the life of me I can't remember the name on the package. My husband thinks it might be Ronstan, I think it's Starsomething.

I'll check this weekend to see if we still have the packaging.

·
Crealock 37
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks.

Yes, the charter boat was a Moorings boat.

The Handi-Hanger looks like a better design, will be oredering a few.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I find modified canvas shoe bags to be very handy.

Thanks in advance.
I think I have 5 sections on-board, with 3-4 pockets each place.

Attachments

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
If you are coiling the lines properly a simple small cleat or two will suffice. Mount them along side the companionway and align them vertically.

George

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
I personally like sheet bags over the handi hangers, since the lines can usually run free right out of the bag, and don't need user intervention like the handi-hangers do.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The Ronstan Utility Hangers are avaiable from the Sailnet store. I've used them for years. Great size and one-hand "operation"

·
Senior Mumble
320 Posts
I personally like sheet bags over the handi hangers, since the lines can usually run free right out of the bag, and don't need user intervention like the handi-hangers do.
Doggie - Is there a technique to the coiling or inserting into the bag that lets it run free? I've yet to experience that result. I still need crew to help the main halyard run free while I'm at the mast managing the flaking of the sail.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
All my halyards are at the mast, coiled and stopped. Sheets in the cockpit are coiled and either hung around a winch or tucked on the coaming under the dodger.

I do use the hangers for keeping sheets off the dock (and drier) when I'm not sailing, and to keep the control lines for jib cars out of the way.

I don't much like sheet bags. They seem a good idea that fails in reality.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Agreed. We don't coil anchor lines, do we.

And some chain lockers do fail, in practice. It is a matter of design. I have been very happy with bags of many designs, always custom fit the application. They must be the correct size and shape for the line to fit well, and they must be fit where needed.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have a large fastening clip on each starboard/port stantion near the cockpit for the halyards. I only need to access them when raising or lowering so that works well. As for the sheets I tend to like Dogs' method. I have those Davis Sticky Bags with the three suction cups, a bag for each jib sheet and one for the main sheet. I also find I need to have them uncoil freely and they do slide right back out of those bags with little or no tangling after I feed them in. The bags keep the spagehtie of lines out of my feet and keep them contained where they don't get wrapped around my legs or the binnacle. I like the Davis bags so much that I bought some extra ones that have multiple pockets to put other stuff in at the cockpit, keeps everything contained and leaves nothing to roll all over the cockpit during excesive heels, even keep my water bottles in them. West marine carries them and I have used them for years with complete satisfaction.

Another reason I like the Davis Sticky Bags is that they come in Pacific Blue to match all my other canvas accessories, yes I am a bit fanatical about color coordination, even my lines are variations of white and blue as is my boat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts