SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years, I was on the Nay side of things. Well, that's not really fair. My boat had a tiller, so if we needed a table, one of those TV trays was the thing. But I found that even that got in the way too much.

But when I bought a boat with a wheel, I decided to investigate installing one of those tables that folds against the binnacle. My investigation didn't last long once I saw the prices: anywhere from $600 to $1300! I could buy a "kit" from Edson for about $250, but that didn't include the actual table, only the hardware.

Then I see somewhere on line that someone has installed one of these things that he found on Amazon, and was raving about it:

$242 for an all teak table with cup/binoculars holder. How can that be, you might ask (I sure did). Because it doesn't use stainless folding arms hardware. The holder clamps to the binnacle, and the table is really a separate tray that fits into a slot on the holder and is held in place by pin. When not in use, the tray hangs from the bottom of the holder and is held against the binnacle by two small snap clamps. Simple.

I installed it yesterday, and the Admiral, myself and two friends inaugurated the table later that day at an anchorage. I'm going to take it home this winter and varnish the hell out of it.
table.jpg
folded table.jpg

Two thumbs up.

·
Master Mariner
8,539 Posts
Nice.
We try to serve every meal in the cockpit for our charter guests. As we only take 2 guests, it is perfect. Love that cockpit table.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,687 Posts
A cockpit table is the single most convincing reason to buy a boat with a wheel over a tiller given a choice.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Cockpit tables are a must-have! We spend most of our time in the cockpit. We eat most of our meals there, and even when you are just lounging and reading a book you have somewhere to put your beverages and snacks.

Of course when it comes to cockpit tables we are pretty spoiled!

If a table is a good reason to get a wheel, then this is a good reason to get twin wheels!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,112 Posts
Looks great from here. Best with it.

Reactions: mstern

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cockpit tables are a must-have! We spend most of our time in the cockpit. We eat most of our meals there, and even when you are just lounging and reading a book you have somewhere to put your beverages and snacks.

Of course when it comes to cockpit tables we are pretty spoiled!

If a table is a good reason to get a wheel, then this is a good reason to get twin wheels!

That's some serious varnish! did you do that or did it come that way?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
That's some serious varnish! did you do that or did it come that way?
The leaves came like that, but I had to strip the middle section down, repair a crack and re-varnish. It is far from perfect on close inspection, but I was pretty happy with my first ever attempt at varnish!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Definitely Yay. You can buy a white plastic fold down with fiddles and wine glass holders from SnapIt (snapitproducts.com) for $205 . Make sure you measure the binnacle guard width and tube diameter since they offer different sizes. Ordered on line and got prompt delivery. They are the vendors for West Marine binnacle accessories. The white plastic is impervious and wipes clean easily. The supports fold out from the mount and there is no strut to hit your knees. Her Highness insists one must have one for Sundowners.

·
Registered
309 Posts
That is a beautiful table with the added bonus of cup holders.

Consider adding fold out leaves on each side so the table is a comfortable distance from the seats for eating. Looking carefully at capta's pic, you can see the side pieces.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I thought why not treat the tiller as a binnacle. A couple brass bolts drop into the stern insert anchoring one end, a wooden plug holds the tiller erect and a couple of stainless pins on the tiller (not shown) hold up the mahogany plywood tabletop. I already had all the materials so cheap to build, easy to assemble and the tabletop stores down below. I just love anchorage engineering.
IMG_1208small.jpg
IMG_1203small.jpg IMG_1204small.jpg IMG_1205small.jpg IMG_1206small.jpg

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I thought why not treat the tiller as a binnacle. A couple brass bolts drop into the stern insert anchoring one end, a wooden plug holds the tiller erect and a couple of stainless pins on the tiller (not shown) hold up the mahogany plywood tabletop. I already had all the materials so cheap to build, easy to assemble and the tabletop stores down below. I just love anchorage engineering.
View attachment 136900 View attachment 136896 View attachment 136897 View attachment 136898 View attachment 136899
Nice job! But you lost me at the yellow electrical tape...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nice job! But you lost me at the yellow electrical tape...

Sorry the picture is meant to show how the wooden plug is jammed in the tiller hinge to keep it straight up. The yellow tape is there cause I scratched my ankle on the bolt end. More engineering

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
We have a binnacle mounted fold down varnished teak table... which has two hinged leaves making it twice as wide... Without the leaves opened... the table has fiddles.

We usually eat below for many reasons.... but do occasionally dine al fresco and it's a very nice feature.

Attachments

·
Dirt Free
2,659 Posts
We installed one of these "Lagun" swing out-of-the-way tables and love it.

·
Registered
22,112 Posts
The yellow tape is there cause I scratched my ankle on the bolt end. More engineering
You need these. They can be trimmed shorter, with a pair of scissors. Cheap. Obviously comes with many spares.

Reactions: Northeric
1 - 18 of 18 Posts