SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
21,633 Posts
Ah, well, in your case, it probably makes sense to not even dock the boat in marinas or even tie up in anchorages where someone upwind of you might be using one of these. In case an inert molecule hit your boat.

Perhaps you could consider getting a hotter grill, so that you COULD get it hot enough to degrade, and thus supporting your position.
Sorry you're so offended by my personal conclusion. You're welcome to do whatever you please. I guess I don't deserve the same in return.

To be clear, the off gassed compounds from over heated teflon are not inert.

I have a Dickinson Sea-B-Que. They can get pretty hot, as they should for proper grilling. But I think it's not the grill itself that matters, but how much heat builds between the flame and this cooking surface, especially if the cook pad acts as a cover over the flame, like a lid. Propane flame is about 2,800c or 5,000f, so it's just a question of how fast it cools in those few inches. Maybe a good practice would be to not cover the entire grill surface. Still, I'm not going to wonder how hot it is each time I use it.

·
Registered
21,633 Posts
It's going to be a real blow, but I guess the rest of us dummies will just have to soldier on without you, then.
What's your problem? Did anyone say you were dumb? No room for different points of view in your threads? Several above warned of high heat on teflon.

·
One of THOSE!
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
MY problem? I don't think I'm the one with a problem here. I'm the one who is happy with this product.

One of the reasons I don't hang out over at Cruisers Forum so much any more is because I got tired of the armchair admirals setting themselves up as these big negative naysaying experts on things they have absolutely NO personal experience with.

I'm running out of patience with these folks, and don't really see any reason I should pretend otherwise. I say it's a good product. Other people say it's a good product. People who have used it. You have not used it. You have no experience with it. You attack my recommendation on the basis that you think it's a dangerous health hazard, despite expert opinions and government findings that Teflon is safe for cookware. The entire world uses Teflon in cookware. The piston rings in my hookah breathing compressor are Teflon.

A chemist who works in a lab reports that it's inert and they use it all the time. The grills we use are not hot enough to vaporize the stuff, and I have yet to see anyone point out anything exceptionally toxic even if they were.

As I said in the beginning of this post, MY Problem? I don't think I'm the one with a problem here.

Look, if you don't like it, just simply don't use it and get on with your life, such as it is under your circumstances.

Can I ask you to please put me on your ignore list, so you don't read anything else I have to say? We'll both be better for it. We have nothing in common.
Thank you.

·
Registered
21,633 Posts
Yikes. Bad day.

You're going to have a tough time finding a forum where no one ever has a different point of view than you. Ignore me all you like. I've done nothing to attack you, I've just added my thoughts.

I'm sure the product actually works, based on the reviews above. Trying it wouldn't make the fact that teflon should not be super heated any different in my book.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Geeze guys, no need for an all out battle here. It's a cooking sheet - nothing more, nothing less. I seriously doubt that it is any more dangerous to use than any Teflon coated frying pan, cookie sheet, etc.... How many people have died from using a Teflon coated frying pan while frying bacon, scrapple, eggs, or anything else that requires high heat? How many law suits have been filed in behalf of individuals being killed by using Teflon coated cooking devices? Now, I've only used mine once, on the grill, the grill lid was closed, and my grill is a monster that gets very hot - when I opened the lid I didn't suddenly become overwhelmed by toxic fumes. Absolutely nothing happened to me, and I have bad lungs and would immediately notice the effects of toxic fumes.

In our daily lives, both onboard the boats and on dry land, we constantly come in contact with toxic substances, yet, for some strange reason, we seem to suffer no ill effect. This particular product, at least to me, seem no more toxic than using my Teflon coated cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven, or frying sausage for breakfast at more than 500 degrees in my Teflon coated flying pan.

At my age, I've probably handled and come in contact with more toxic substances than I would like to remember, I'm, obviously, still alive and kicking, just not kicking very high these days. I have absolutely no qualms about using the Cookina cooking sheet. If you think you would be at risk from using this product, just don't buy it, but don't try to convince the online world that there is an inherent danger in using this sheet without some supporting evidence other than a gut feeling. Now, if I die from using this, I'll be sure to tell my wife to post that it killed me on this site. ;)

All the best,

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
21,633 Posts
Wow again. Can anyone quote a post where anyone is trying to say the following?

.....don't try to convince the online world that there is an inherent danger in using this sheet without some supporting evidence.....
What I said was......

.......I don't want to have to think about it. I appreciate the product review, but I'm out.
nor did I suggest you do anything different.....

....You're welcome to do whatever you please. ......
However, posting that teflon emits toxic fumes when exposed to excessive heat is simply a fact. Do with it whatever you like. It's cause for me not to want to think about whether the underside of this sheet is reaching those temps. Not worried about what you do or the rest of the online world.

Anyone suggesting I keep this point of view to myself, must be real good with government censorship.

Dupont was, in fact, sued over a chemical they used to make teflon that did outgas when exposed to high heat (higher than the temp of your oven, but not nearly as high as a propane flame). Google 'teflon flu' if you genuinely care about supporting evidence. They stopped using it, or at least insured it no longer remained in their product. Do you know whether that chemical is in the PTFE in this product? Do you care? Entirely up to you.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Do I care? Nope, not even a little bit. And, I don't care if you shout your opinions from the rooftops, either. You have that right in this part of the world.

·
Registered
21,633 Posts
I don't care if you shout your opinions from the rooftops, either.
Somehow, you and gringo seem to feel that's what I did. Wasn't intended. It was just more info and sharing my perspective, not unlike you shared yours.

For what it's worth, here's their own link to their product. They also claim the following and there is more on the link about it.

Keep your COOKINA® out of the flames and below260°C(500oF)
http://cookina.co/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/bbq.pdf

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Same information is on the package - the big difference is that Gringo2 and I are both relating out experiences from actual use of the product.

All the best,

·
Registered
21,633 Posts
Same information is on the package - the big difference is that Gringo2 and I are both relating out experiences from actual use of the product.....
However, we're not discussing whether the product works. I'm sure it works. No debate.

How does the use of the product affect one's assessment over whether the pad will get to 500f a few inches from the flame of the bbq? Your argument that you didn't get whoosy is specious. The health issues related to the decomposition of teflon under extreme heat do not manifest themselves immediately.

Again, I'm happy for you to do whatever you like. But the issue of whether one can insure the pad doesn't get over 500f, is important enough that the manufacturer of this product put it all over their "instructions".

Enjoy it. I don't want to have to figure out what it's temp is.

·
Registered
21,633 Posts
I'll check the temp with my temperature fork the next time I use it and post the information.

Gary
Great. But it's not the food, it's the underside of the mat that is in question for me. Not sure a temp fork will test that, but I would be curious. An infra red temp sensor would be better. Thanks.

·
One of THOSE!
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'll check the temp with my temperature fork the next time I use it and post the information.

Gary

I've got one of these little heat gun things, and last night I checked the cooking sheet. If I kept the Magma lid closed and the flame on high it got up to over 500 deg. The brats were great.

Found out about this stuff from Women Who Sail group on Facebook. Their recommendations on other stuff have been pretty good. They tend to be a fairly reliable source of info without the drama, or the "nattering nabobs of negativity" factor every time you turn around.

I read up on the stuff. Dupont discontinued using the chemical that outgassed over a year ago. It was never an issue with proper ventilation in the first place. Gosh, go figure.

With a few million teflon coated skillets in use world wide for the past fifty years if people were gasping and dropping like flies, I suspect a bunch of paper-writing scientists would have been all over it many times by now. They haven't. Go figure.

This is good stuff.

·
Registered
21,633 Posts
......without the drama, or the "nattering nabobs of negativity" factor every time you turn around.

....if people were gasping and dropping like flies......
Who exactly is being dramatic here? Can you quote drama like this from anyone else?

Cokina themselves say not to get the product over 500f, specifically because its chemicals evaporate. It's not drama or whatever you're offended by. It's just documented fact.

No room in your world for an opposing view?

I've only conlcuded that I don't want to be burdened with trying to figure out if my grill will get this thing to 500f. The temperature gauge on my grill shows it will get much hotter than that with the lid closed. Glad to hear yours does not get as hot. Enjoy your new find.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Who exactly is being dramatic here? Can you quote drama like this from anyone else?

Cokina themselves say not to get the product over 500f, specifically because its chemicals evaporate. It's not drama or whatever you're offended by. It's just documented fact.

No room in your world for an opposing view?

I've only conlcuded that I don't want to be burdened with trying to figure out if my grill will get this thing to 500f. The temperature gauge on my grill shows it will get much hotter than that with the lid closed. Glad to hear yours does not get as hot. Enjoy your new find.
Why do you keep saying the same thing over and over, talk about beating a dead horse, wow.

We get it, you have stated it several times. Is it your intent to just be a horses rear end, or are you oblivious to it.

If this product was as bad as you would like us to believe, the manufacture probably would have never put it on the market.

I think the people here using it are able to read and understand the directions.

·
Registered
Hunter 386
552 Posts
Just for fun, what Cokina actually says is :

IF COOKINA® IS ACCIDENTALLY OVERHEATED, ARE
THERE HAZARDOUS FUMES?
Any material heated high enough will give off fumes. You
should never allow your COOKINA® to overheat. Fumes
from overheated non-stick cookware, like your COOKINA®
do not adversely affect humans or household pets with the
exception of birds. Since birds have particularly sensitive
respiratory systems, they are susceptible to fumes in
general. At high temperatures above 260ºC (500ºF), in
case of overheating of your COOKINA®, the decomposition
of PTFE may create gases that could be harmful for birds.
and

If an empty non-stick COOKINA® is accidentally heated above 350°C (662°F), a temperature that far exceeds what food preparation calls for, the non-stick coating may begin to deteriorate. Heating non-stick cookware above 260ºC (500ºF) can discolor the surface of your COOKINA® or cause it to lose some of its non-stick properties.
Still, I don't think Minnewaska is being paranoid about this, we all just have a different "caution" point...

21 - 40 of 135 Posts