SailNet Community banner

121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,208 Posts
Well done beef steaks... who, what, why? This is borderline insanity. I can only think of a few more items more terrifying for a hunan to consume than well done steak. Now a braised beef short rib of course, but a well done porthouse should be a criminal offense with mandatory sentence of an overnight stay in the local sheriff motel. I am feeling sad now ;)

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Dave, while we do share the same aquifer, the depth of the well has a huge bearing on the quality of the water. Most shallow wells, particularly those in Southern Maryland and the Eastern Shore produce water that I consider unfit for drinking, often contaminated with suspended particles of iron and nasty tasting unless heavily treated and filtered. In my case, the well is 500 feet deep, mostly in fractured granite. It is slightly acidic with a ph of 6.5, the taste is very pure and always ice cold at 55 degrees most of the year. It's better than bottled water. An old friend in Southern Maryland near Point Lookout had a relatively shallow well, under 100 feet and the water was just awful. His well went dry and he had it redrilled to 600 feet and no longer needed the treatment system he previously used.

As for meats, I love the taste of burnt meat! What can I say? Everyone has their preference, and I know the chef guys will ride my butt about this one, and they prefer their beef mooing and kicking. I try to cook my meats by the meat thermometer, 145 degrees for beef, 165 for pork, etc.... I think I get great results, so does my wife and grown children and their spouses. So I guess I must be doing something right.

Dave, I'm well aware that overheating most synthetics will produce toxic fumes, and for the most part, I tend to follow the rules when it comes to using these products. My favorite cooking pan is a cast iron skillet, one that I use almost daily for a host of dishes. When I cook stir fry, I heat that cast iron skillet up to where it's just beginning to smoke, something I would never do with a teflon coated pan. Heat that high would destroy the Teflon coating and make the pan pretty much useless. I have Teflon pans that are 15 years old and still retain their non-stick coatings.

Now, back to the Cookina Sheet. Thus far, I've followed the directions, the product seems to work quite well, and it sure makes cleaning up a breeze. I no longer have to scrub off the grate of the gas grill with a wire brush, but the burgers and sausages seem to taste just as good as they did when I was not using the product. And, because it's used outdoors, I suspect that even if I did overheat it, the fumes would rapidly dissipate and not be a problem. No way to determine this unless you notice that I'm suddenly absent from this site. ;)

All the best,

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
Tartan 37
5,208 Posts
135 or less for tender cuts of Beef
145 or less for tender cuts of Pork
165 for tender cuts of Poultry
Seafood depends, Salmon, Tuna for examplecan be raw or if cooked rare. Swordfish for example shoukd be fully cooked.

Otherwise cook to your liking right.

Often our misconceptions come from our upbringing. It was common, mandatory really to cook Pork fully prior to the 1980s. G stud... you're old, self proclaimed right, so your desire for well done meats makes sense, just unfortunate because you'remissing out on some of the finer things in life ;)

Nothing wrong with searing/pan cooking a burger, hotdogs, steaks (in fact the best way to cook a steak is in a cast iron skillet)... but using this thing on a grill does not make it grilling. You are simply turning the grill into a griddle. As I have said already, its a interesting and likely useful gadget for the oven, just because one is heating the grill doesnt necessarily make it grilling. We use a oven for baking, roasting, and braising... all in the same piece of equipment but three different cooking methods for different applications. We dont roast cookies and bake a Prime Rib Roast right?

I grew up on a well, water is essentially pure after ony a few feet is my understanding. Not sure 500 feet or 50 makes a difference if its suitable for consumption or not, but will it have contaminants like iron at 100 feet, depends where the well is. Our well in Deep Creek/Western Maryland is full of iron and sulfur... tastes horrible without a filter. Stains clothes, toilets, tubs but its safe to drink.

Enjoy the Cookina! :)

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Shawn, the reason that well water from the Deep Creek Lake area of Western Maryland is iron contaminated is mainly because the wells are drilled into iron ore substrate, which goes down for hundreds of feet in that part of the state. When you drive up old US 40 and through some of the passes dynamited through the mountains, you will see the layers of iron ore, which appear orange in color. You will also see layers of coal, shale and granite. It's a neat part of the state to visit, but too cold for this, proclaimed, old man, to live there. The smallmouth bass fishing was pretty darned good at Deep Creek Lake, though, and Johnny Marple, the previous owner of Johnny's Bait House on the lake's shore was a great friend of mine for decades.

All the best,

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
Often our misconceptions come from our upbringing.
True. Despite my love for good food I have never recovered from an expectation that hot dogs--which I don't eat often--are boiled. *sigh*

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I just ordered the 10-inch Red Copper pan today, so I guess that one will likely bring about my untimely demise, too. ;) I'll let you know how it works, but if I die in the process, well, you'll be on your own. :)

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I just ordered the 10-inch Red Copper pan today, so I guess that one will likely bring about my untimely demise, too. ;) I'll let you know how it works, but if I die in the process, well, you'll be on your own. :)

Isn't that a ceramic coated pan?. I've yet to hear of a health concern with modern ceramic.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Yeah, it's ceramic, but they tell you not to place it in an over above 500 degrees for some strange reason. I don't really care, just as long as it works like they say.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Yeah, it's ceramic, but they tell you not to place it in an over above 500 degrees for some strange reason. I don't really care, just as long as it works like they say.

I suspect that the quality/thickness of those "as seen on TV" ceramics lined pans isn't good enough to withstand higher temps and it's not because the ceramic itself will cause a health concern. My nickel bet is that the pan could warp and potentially disturb the bond with the ceramic.

As for copper, I looked up the pan. They say it's "copper infused" and they don't say in what, the pan or the ceramic. On the first google search page, I also noted that it's just a re-branded pan that never used to mention copper at all. I'm sure the copper parts is BS and, even more likely, microscopic. I believe it's illegal to make ceramic cookware with heavy metals any longer anyway.

I like modern ceramics. However, they require a greased surface to work properly, unlike teflon.

·
HANUMAN
2,836 Posts
The ONLY place to buy pans is from a restaurant supply company.

Granted, I have some teflon crap on my boat that I had to buy for my original delivery trip, but it's just a matter of time before I get pissed off enough to donate them and man up. They are such crap it pisses me off to look at them.

On a whim, I recently purchased a farberware knife on sale, I liked the weight/feel. That farberware junk has little spots of surface rust all over it. All my "cheap" restaurant supply knifes (some near 30 yrs old) are like new.

·
One of THOSE!
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #134 (Edited)
I do not think anyone is getting personal, am I wrong? But you seem to be taking it that way. Maybe I am wrong about that as well.

Is it a useful tool, YES... For a grill, sure... but as Dave/Auspicious pointed out... the vocabulary you used was incorrect. You're NOT grilling, cooking yes! Searing? Sure.

Example... most people think a baked potato is wrapping it in foil and putting it in an oven for about an hour. Sorry, that is NOT a baked potato, its a steamed potato and taste like sheet. A true baked potato is coated with oil, I like olive, not extra virgin olive, but Pomace Olive Oil or any vegetable oil. Then coat it in salt, coarse ground kosher is ideal. Then bake. Crisp skin and light potato when cut open.

Silpat, Silpain, and Roul'Pat Non-Stick Baking Products | Welcome is a great sheet pan liner for baking, easily cleaned and virtually non stick but a grill would ruin it. You see these all over professional kitchens.
Well, you're certainly entitled to your own opinions about food. Doesn't mean you're correct, or that everyone agrees with you.

You state that this is a steamed potato, and then use what YOU like to supposedly support that. Well, you're wrong. A potato wrapped in foil IS a baked potato. I LIKE it with bacon and cheddar cheese. So do the brits. They call it a jacketed potato.

Matter of opinion. I hate olive oil. And I detest cooks that think that everyone should adhere to how much salt THEY think other people should put on their food. It's none of the cooks business how much salt I want to add to my own food.

I flipped burgers one summer, making me a professional chef, also. And I THINK everyone should be required to eat more catsup on their burgers, simply because I said so. See how silly that sounds?

And as for Grilling, well, if I cook it on a grill, I grilled it. You don't get to define that.

And as for silipat or whatever it is, what's your point? If you want to discuss some other product, why not start a thread about it? This thread has nothing to do with that stuff. This thread is about cooking with Cokina on a grill. And for those of us who can read and follow simple directions and don't do our grilling at a thousand degrees with a gas ax, it works real fine. I'm still using the original piece on the grill, and it works as well now as it did a month ago.

That's first hand experience with the product. Perhaps you should try that sometimes.

121 - 135 of 135 Posts