SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, how does one go about starting a cold 2gm yanmar, weathers been cold, whats the best way to get running so I can go get hauled out,

·
ancient mariner
439 Posts
if you have a propane torch, remove the air cleaner and direct the flame into the intake while someone cranks the engine with the starter. have the throttle about 3/4 open . cut it bach when the engine starts. warming up the intake air helps the injected diesel to fire.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Don't set your boat on fire. Place a hair blow dryer in the engine compartment aimed at the intake manifold for about 10 min , should start like a warm engine.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I wonder if anyone makes block heaters for marine engines? Pretty common accessory for automotive engines in Northern latitudes.

·
Registered
545 Posts
very cold engine block heater battery heater. Otherwise crank wait twice as long as
crank , crank again. Do not use engine desil starting fluids, either, bad for engine.

·
19,489 Posts
If you're cranking a lot, and in the water.. be sure to close the raw water intake until the engine starts or you may backflood the engine and hydrolock it.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,486 Posts
Use a portable hair drier to pump hot air into the intake spout on the air cleaner for a few minutes before cranking (or even while if you've got a helper to turn the ignition switch). If you don't have shore power use a 12v version.

Operated for a few minutes, it would not be an undue drain on your batteries unless they are way down. See Amazon.com: RoadPro RPSC-818 12V Hair Dryer/ Defroster with Folding Handle: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41fARa1ZcLL

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2QM15- no glow plugs on this model- that was very hard on the starter motor when cold.
I bought a Wolverine brand engine heater that you affix to the bottom of the oil pan with an expoy that is included in the kit. Website is wolverineheater.com - For my 2 cylinder I bought the model 4.5 CSA approved ( gotta keep the insurance company happy) that is 50 watts. I think its the smallest one they make.
Now no matter what the outside temp the engines starts with a couple of seconds cranking at most. I figure the $60.00 cost of the heater has paid for itself many times over with the reduced wear on the starter motor.

They are mfg'd in Washington state, but I believe they have dealers everywhere. - I have no connection with this company at all, just a satisfied customer.

There are some Canadians who would argue that it never gets cold enough to use such a thing in Victoria BC, but things come to a screaming halt around here when it hits 0 C! brrr!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I always seem to be one of the first boats to be hauled, meaning first thing in the morning when it is cold! The last two years, I have run an electric heater pointed at the engine for an hour before it is time and this makes a huge difference. Launch is another story because I can't get power to the boat immediately before launch. I fhave found that cranking it a bit and then waiting for a good 15-20 seconds, cranking again for a short period of time...wait and it will go the third time.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm going to try and start my Yanmar this weekend after a cold spell on the Chesapeake. I'll try some of the tips posted here.

I've always heard that starting fluid is bad for diesels but have never gotten a real explanation as to why. Anyone able to enlighten me? Also, is it true that wd40 is an acceptable substitute?

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
I'm going to try and start my Yanmar this weekend after a cold spell on the Chesapeake. I'll try some of the tips posted here.

I've always heard that starting fluid is bad for diesels but have never gotten a real explanation as to why. Anyone able to enlighten me? Also, is it true that wd40 is an acceptable substitute?
If your engine has pre combustion chambers, I have read that ether will damage the head. IN really cold temps I have used just a small squirt near the in taken and it worked, maybe I was lucky.

No experience with WD 40 but used ether in another engine, a Detroit 3 71
Diesel that had direct injection, no problem.

Paul T

·
Registered
2,433 Posts

DO NOT USE ANY TYPE OF STARTER FLUID!! Why it will possibly detonate way before the pistons TDC and end up with bent con rods.

As I have seen engine teardowns with bent rods at Mack Boring using this method of cold starting.

Use the method in your owners manual. Full throttle which retards the high pressure fuel pump timing enough to when started reduce throttle.

Also make sure starter battery is fully charged..and yes external heating the engine block helps

·
Registered
16 Posts
How did it work out? My port engine sometimes starts hard. I am going to try the hairdryer advice with the generator running next cold start.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts