SailNet Community banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wonder if anyone makes block heaters for marine engines? Pretty common accessory for automotive engines in Northern latitudes.
Yes they do. I installed one on my 2qm15. The folks in northern Canada use the all winter. Mine is stuck on the block behind the starter. It keeps the motor and everything around it warm all the time. Motors starts like you just turned it off.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The key to starting a cold Yanmar GM series engine is give it plenty of throttle. Not necessarily full throttle but at least 1/2-3/4.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yes they do. I installed one on my 2qm15. The folks in northern Canada use the all winter. Mine is stuck on the block behind the starter. It keeps the motor and everything around it warm all the time. Motors starts like you just turned it off.
A cheaper alternative is a 100w incandescent light bulb suspended over the engine. IF you can find them...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2QM15- no glow plugs on this model- that was very hard on the starter motor when cold.
I bought a Wolverine brand engine heater that you affix to the bottom of the oil pan with an expoy that is included in the kit. Website is wolverineheater.com - For my 2 cylinder I bought the model 4.5 CSA approved ( gotta keep the insurance company happy) that is 50 watts. I think its the smallest one they make.
Now no matter what the outside temp the engines starts with a couple of seconds cranking at most. I figure the $60.00 cost of the heater has paid for itself many times over with the reduced wear on the starter motor.

They are mfg'd in Washington state, but I believe they have dealers everywhere. - I have no connection with this company at all, just a satisfied customer.

There are some Canadians who would argue that it never gets cold enough to use such a thing in Victoria BC, but things come to a screaming halt around here when it hits 0 C! brrr!
I have also installed one of these and it just great. I also was able to install an intake heater, made by Yanmar for a different motor. I had to make aluminum adapters, install a new breaker, relay, push button and associated wiring. It works just like the one on my Dodge Cummins pickup. I can give you details if you like. I just have to look it up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2QM15- no glow plugs on this model- that was very hard on the starter motor when cold.
I bought a Wolverine brand engine heater that you affix to the bottom of the oil pan with an expoy that is included in the kit. Website is wolverineheater.com - For my 2 cylinder I bought the model 4.5 CSA approved ( gotta keep the insurance company happy) that is 50 watts. I think its the smallest one they make.
Now no matter what the outside temp the engines starts with a couple of seconds cranking at most. I figure the $60.00 cost of the heater has paid for itself many times over with the reduced wear on the starter motor.

They are mfg'd in Washington state, but I believe they have dealers everywhere. - I have no connection with this company at all, just a satisfied customer.

There are some Canadians who would argue that it never gets cold enough to use such a thing in Victoria BC, but things come to a screaming halt around here when it hits 0 C! brrr!
I did the same but installed mine behind the starter. It doesn't get oily and dirty and is in the intake side. Works Perfectly.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts