SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<sarcasm> It hasn't been in the news or anything, but some of you might have noticed that it's been a bit chilly. </sarcasm>

Yesterday on my bike ride my bag bounced right off the bike. I checked it out and the bungee cord that had been holding it on was completely slack. In the -15ºF weather what was once guitar-string tight was now loose and flopping about.

When I got home I checked the bungee cords holding the tarp on my boat. Some of them were loose, others were still tight. There must be a different materials used in different brands that cause some to fail in cold weather.

So anyway, if you're getting double-digits below zero and are relying on bungee cords to keep a tarp or cover on your boat, it might be a good idea to check on them.

Cheers, and stay warm!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Minne,

I use bungees for mine. I replace them every year, probably because I buy them from the dollar store. (Do remember the five and dime?) The real issue, I think, is UV degradation. I've had some buy the farm in the middle of summer, just tear to shreds. My winter ones usually do pretty well. But, thanks for the head-up. I'll cast an eye their way on occasion to be sure.

Don

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I brought a cord inside and once it warmed up it shortened up and got its elasticity back. Maybe it is just an issue of old ones vs new ones.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Bungies are expendable items in my book. Maybe 2 years here in the PNW and they're shot.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was back out tonight poking around (it's warmed up to just above zero) and there are definitely some bungee cords that kept their elasticity and some that lost it. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with age. I think it there must be two substantially different kinds of elastic used in bungee cords, one kinds stays elastic in sub-zero temps, another loses it.

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
<sarcasm> It hasn't been in the news or anything, but some of you might have noticed that it's been a bit chilly. </sarcasm>
Actually, it's been bloody hot around here.. you must be in the wrong country. :p :p

Yesterday on my bike ride my bag bounced right off the bike. I checked it out and the bungee cord that had been holding it on was completely slack. In the -15ºF weather what was once guitar-string tight was now loose and flopping about.

When I got home I checked the bungee cords holding the tarp on my boat. Some of them were loose, others were still tight. There must be a different materials used in different brands that cause some to fail in cold weather.
Yes, there are several different compositions out there (depending on how much money you want to spend) and some retain a decent amount of elasticity in the cold and some don't, depending, IIRC, on the amount of latex they use in the mix. It is a common problem - and has absolutely nothing to do with age.

I'd expect that the ones sold by ski-shops to hold skis onto roof-racks (the single-core variety?) might be the most likely to hold up reliably.

Cheers, and stay warm!
No problem there!! :)

..oh, and any chance of sending some of that chill down this way? We could sure use it. Must go find the sun-tan lotion.. :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts