SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to glue a 6" x 6" block of wood to the inside of my fiberglass hull. No screws please!
It's cold, 25 to 35 d, and I'd rather not wait till spring. Will anything work?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Some of the polyureathane construction adhesives might work at that temperature... but I'd rather use an epoxy... :)

·
midlife crisis member
975 Posts
Well, localized heat should work. Point an electric heater at the hull where you will glue. Keep it a few feet away so you won't over heat things. An hour later, glue it. Keep the heater pointed at the hull for another hour. You should be fine. Make sure you mix the epoxy at room temperature. Eric

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Every epoxy I've seen says minimum 40 degrees. I'll be looking at Maximum temp of 35 deg and the hull surface will probably be colder than that.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Xort-

Heat lamps are your friend. :)

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
cold cure epoxy cures down to 2 degrees celcius at 100% humidity - I've used it in the past and it works as well as West Cold Cure

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Great solution for anyone needing to do repairs in cold weather... :)

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cold cure epoxy cures down to 2 degrees celcius at 100% humidity - I've used it in the past and it works as well as West Cold Cure
Can you post a link to this?

I've checked out several places that make cold temp epoxy and they are all stopping at 40 degrees F. Now that I think about this...what is 2 degrees C? About 38 degrees F???

We aren't seeing temps above 35 degrees F as highs for the day. I'm sure the hull is holding in the cold temperature lower than that. The spot I'm working on would be difficult to get a heat lamp on. since this is non stuctural, I'm going to try the glue. Good to 10 degree F.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Umm... Xort... the words Cold Cure are a link to the product.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Cool, I may have to try this on my keel fairing job next week. That's going to be a big cold hunk of iron though. Hopefully I can "warm it up" to 2 degrees C :)

·
Junior Senior
247 Posts

2 degrees Celsius = 35.6 degrees Fahrenheit

If you expect temperatures to fall below that level try Gorilla Glue. (Polyurethane glue.) This is what I used to install the cedar ceiling on my boat last winter. I left a regular 100W work lamp on the boat overnight when the temps dipped into the twenties. I didn't attempt any gluing at lower temperatures. So far so good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts