SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I recently moved to a house in St Petersburg, Fl that has water access but you have to pass under a small bridge (8-9' at high/10-11' at low depending on the tide) so now I'm trying to find a nice daysailer or small weekender (used) manufactured with a collapsible mast. Other than Com Pac, are there other brands I can do searches for? Thanks

Cords

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Not many boats that are going to fit under a 5' bridge that aren't going to be so small as to effectively not be a weekender. My boat has a mast raising system that allows you to drop the mast in about 15 minutes, but I doubt I'd be able to get it under a bridge with only 8' of clearance at low tide... I know it wouldn't make 5'.. :) You need to have a different location for your boat if you want a boat that you can weekend on IMHO.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought these looked neat when they first came to market. Not sure how easy the mast is to raise and lower, but it sounds like it goes on like a laser or force 5.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Those are pretty neat boats...but would be tough to weekend in one. :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Those are pretty neat boats...but would be tough to weekend in one. :)
They got options :)

I used to weekend on my A-16 all the time. Its all a matter of perspective. I though "cruising" as a broke as dirt college kids was pretty cool.

Another boat I have actually spent a little time on is the Sea Perl. Very seaworthy and inovative sailing craft that might fit the bill.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
You might look at the MacGregor 26' trailerable water ballast sailboat. They have a mast raising system that I have heard decent things about. I would not get the newer 26X or M model though. Look for the 26 S or D (none of the older boats sport a 50HP outboard engine). There was a 26X in our mooring field whose mast broke at the spreaders this season.
Barring a boat this big I would suggest a Sunfish or Laser that you could pull the rig down for getting under the bridge. If you can deal with a trailerable boat then find a launching ramp beyond the bridge.
Good luck.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I don't know if the mast raising system on the 26S or 26D will still allow the boat to pass under that bridge at high tide. They could probably make it at low tide... but 5' is pretty tight clearance wise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts