SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive my stupid questions. Boat electronics are not really my thing.

My new boat apparently comes with a 4kw color radar. I've had radar for a few years now on my previous boat and it's something I wouldn't want to be without again. My old boat was a Raymarine unit with a B&W LCD display.

4kw is good I gather. The extra KW can help punch through rain right?

What about color? What does that do for me? Does it show different radar reflectivities of things? Can one see a ship in the rain as a different colored blob?

MedSailor

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,971 Posts
You don't need radar, you have a sauna :))

I'm no authority, but I think all color radar gives you is something other than a black background with green targets. At least that's all my Garmin 5212 on our fishing boat does. Not a big advantage from what I can see, the radar overlay however, greatly reduces the work load when in thick pea soup.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
I don't know about punching through rain, but definition should be notably better than your old gen radar, particularly if your B&W was analog. Color differences may show different signal return strengths, but I don't think you'll find that very helpful. If you get a return, you'll be interested in it, no matter what. It's the crisper image that you'll note is the improvement, more than the color.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.