SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are new to sailing and have recently puchased a Columbia 28. We are learning all about it and there are a few questions about it if anyone can help me out with and/or have any advice and information It would be greatly appreciated. My question is across from the gages where you sit there is a brass hole and the seat is designed to allow that hole to be exposed, what is that for? Also just below that on the vertical, about where your calf would be there is and outlet of some kind. what is that for? thanks for helping,:) Kat

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
That sounds like the pivot and electrical connections for a tiller pilot. Pictures would help.
Have fun with your new boat.
John

·
Registered
1 Posts
Columbia 28

Congrats on the new boat. I have a 1967 Columbia 28 and have replaced quite a few of the systems on her in the last two years. We sail her out of a maeina on the Pax river in MD. Feel free to ask any questions about your columbia and i'll see if i can help.

·
Blue Horizons
1,052 Posts
I recommend you find and download the owners manual for your boat. It is easily accessible with a google search and will have schematics of all your electrical, plumbing, standing rigging and all that jazz. For your engine specs do the same thing. Its good to have manuals.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We are new to sailing and have recently puchased a Columbia 28. We are learning all about it and there are a few questions about it if anyone can help me out with and/or have any advice and information It would be greatly appreciated. My question is across from the gages where you sit there is a brass hole and the seat is designed to allow that hole to be exposed, what is that for? Also just below that on the vertical, about where your calf would be there is and outlet of some kind. what is that for? thanks for helping,:) Kat

·
Registered
7 Posts
We recently became a columbia 28 owner, It's a 69, atomic 4 and needed a lot of help, our model has the prop behind the rudder and the first thing we found out is that the boat only steers to starboard in reverse, Probably because of the offset prop to port, and propwash, Also the rudder will turn 360 degrees and if it gets backwards it will try to self right radically and almost threw me overboard and also hit my wife's hand and ankle, Only found out after limping into slip and looking at rudder and seeing it with leading edge backwards, We thought it was fouled with rope or seaweed. I had no idea that could happen, very dangerous, and could not figure it out in an emergency situation, I'm not new to sailing but it scared the hell out of both of us.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts